Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RS Clone from a SC or later 911?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 01:52 AM
mshriner
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS Clone from a SC or later 911?

Read an article in Excellence, May 2005 where Autofarm in the UK is taking later model 911s and converting them to 73 RS Clones. Seems like a decent idea to me at first glance as early cars seem to be harder to find and the prices are going up.

It seems to me that the 1978 and on 3.0 /3.2 cars have some of the more desireable/ reliable engines, rust proofing is a good thing, and replacing the bumpers would reduce weight and get back to a very pure look. What would it take to undertake such a conversion? At first glance it would appear the fenders are different as well as hood, bumpers and lights.? Oh, before I get flamed I do like the SCs the way they are as well. I just like the look of the early RS and rather than "hotrodding" an early car as has become popular it might make sense to use a later one?

Matt
Old 03-28-2005, 02:02 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,103 Likes on 2,874 Posts

IMHO, the character of the early high-revving MFI motors is a big part of the charm of the RS and I think alot of people overlook that when building replicas.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:08 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

It's been done a lot. The advantages are galvanization and better suspension and brake components. You can cut weight on the car and completely change the character of a 3.0 or a 3.2.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:45 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Or the better suspension and brake components can just be added to an early shell. The later shells will have much better rust protection (not a prob. in your area) and will also likely be somewhat heavier.

For Calif. I would just get an early car. If you plan to move back East or something, I'd convert the bumper car.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:56 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

75 and earlier are exempt from smog testing.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:27 PM
achtung Englander
Advanced

I have a 1979 Factory Black 911Sc with Power windows 80k original miles, NO sunroof. I bought it from the first owner to maker into a racing car but having 4 cars in resto and a 914/6GT rep that will owe me the national debt of Equador by the time its finished I want to sell this car.
I also have two perfect early front fenders, long hood, front slam panel, signal light units, front and rear RS bumpers and spoiler to convert it. It has a full black leather interiorin excellent shape apart from the front seats and the dashtop which are shot. Non smoking owner with all books and papers, rebuilt trans, 3.0 49 state car but I have the air injectors and smog pump should they be needed.
If anybody wants a great candidate to "Early RS" give send me a mail
Early911guy@comcast.net
Old 03-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I think it's a great idea and plan to do just that with my next 911. Not only does it give you the early look, but it's a great way to lighten the load with f/g bumpers, etc. (I've never been too fond of the "lightweight" bumper options for impact bumper cars anyway.) Depending on how far you want to go with the original look, there are other ways to save weight (in the interior, for instance...or plex windows?). Or, you can have a lighter car with the more liveable amenities of...say...a later 3.2 Carrera.

Enough of them are being done where you can't really call them "unique" anymore, but I still think one would be great to have.

Lot's of info here BTW: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...kdating+Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 03:05 PM
ishmeal
AutoX

It's a good idea as most people like the long hood look or appreciate it. I'm a personal fan of the long hoods. They said it's a lot of bolt on parts. There's a long thread on pelican called "Ultimate backdating" you should read.

It's a good idea. Ofcourse if you go to the expense or level of Autofarm, then it's too costly in my opinion. Just pick up a reliable SC for $12K and a longhood roller for $2K and put the two together and you've got yourself a pretty nice looking backdated pcar. I say, don't use fiberglass, go w/steel.

[White Goodman in DodgeBall]Do it, do it, do it![/white]

Quick Reply: RS Clone from a SC or later 911?