Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Want to buy 911SC - Euro or American?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 05:42 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 242 Posts
Post Want to buy 911SC - Euro or American?

The car will be primarily used for the track and I intend to make suspension mods, put in seat harness, etc. Should I go for a european model with the extra horsepower or stay with an American model? Are the european models as scary as most books say with regards to the potential for mechanical headaches? Is the horsepower gain noticeable?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2003, 10:27 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The major concern with Euro vs. US model early 911's is the emmissions issue. Some cars were brought into this country and were not properly converted to meet US emmission laws. Therefore, these cars would give the new owners problems in states where emmission testing was done.

I would assume the higher compression, higher horsepower euro motors would be preferable for track use, but hopefully a track experienced person will respond to this point.

Books claim that European cars tend to get driven harder, but if a Euro car was imported early in it's life, that point is basically mute. These are also robust cars and as long as the previous owners took good care of the car, it shouldn't matter too much where it was originally from. There are a lot of European owners that take great care of their cars.

My brother owns a 1983 SC that is originally from Germany and was imported to the US in the mid-late 80's. The car is a blast to drive with it's higher output motor vs. a US car (not that there is anything wrong with a US SC) and has never given him any trouble with emmissions or other major problems.

Good Luck,
Jay
<a href="http://www.jays911.com" target="_blank">90 964</a>
Old 01-31-2003, 11:53 AM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I second everything that JayH says. I have an '83 Euro, and it's a great car. Only the '81 to '83 cars have the high output motor, by the way.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:10 PM
John Adams
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I own a Euro that spent most of it's time in Dallas and Austin. The PO's never had any trouble with emissions in TX nor have I up in RI. It's a great car with an extra 8 hp to boot.

Quick Reply: Want to buy 911SC - Euro or American?