Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Front Torsion Bar - What keeps it there??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 10:46 PM
red911 Targa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Torsion Bar - What keeps it there??

Hello Fellow Listers:

I am rebuilding a 1966 911 Coupe and have installed Elephant Racing's Polybronze bushings in both Fore and Aft. (I'm from New England) Thanks Chuck Moreland, they are very, very well made and make a loosy-goosey front end tight, and a sagging rear end perky.

During the torquing of the front suspension, the Driver's side torsion bar and the set screw actually backed out of the torsion tube while on the jack stands.

What keeps these torsion bars in place under "droop" in the pothole land called New England??

Is there something that I did not add that locks the front torsion bars in place in the rear??

Thanks in advance, Tom
Old 03-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Tom:

The adjuster at the rearward end of the torsion bars are held in place by the adjusting screw that goes through the hole in the crossmember.

As long as that screw doesn't back out (and I've never seen one do that on the road in 30 years), the torsion bar cannot back out of its splines and fall out. Make sure that the torsion bar is seated all the way so the adjusting screw will thread into the iron adjuster through that hole in the bottom side of the crossmember.

Quick Reply: Front Torsion Bar - What keeps it there??