Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Windscreen wipers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 08:52 AM
bubba sc
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen wipers.

Hi there, newbie here! My windscreen wipers on my '78 sc have suddenly started to move extremely slowly, almost stopping. It has happened over night so i'm thinking something may have come loose, can any of you guys shed any light on the situation?
Old 03-16-2005, 01:02 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your motor may be going out. However, I suggest you try the following as a start. Remove the wiper arms, nuts, etc. Get a small container of lubricating oil, turn on the wiper motor and put a drop or two of the oil (light machine oil is great or guncleaning oil) on each of the vertical shafts on each wiper. You may have crud built up in there and it has become gummy. I do this once a year to keep the shafts lubricated and prevent any water from causing rust, etc on the shafts. i have seen where the windshield washer fluid (the blue stuff or other color) get on the shafts and causing them to bind a little. I would start there since it is simple and no cost.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:52 PM
82Targa
Instructor

Its the motor. I agree with Spider911, try and lubricate the motor. If its moving at all, it is unlikely you have a connection problem.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:18 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Note - he is saying to lube the wiper arm mechanism. If somebody has ideas about how ot lube the motor, I'd be interested in seeing that. I'll bet mine hasn't had any maintenance in 31 years...
Old 03-18-2005, 01:00 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I rebuilt the wiper motor in my malibu & I can't imagine the 911 motor to be much different.
It basically required a separation of the case and removal of the wound 'guts'. I then cleaned off all of the residue (likely from the 35+ year old brushes) and ensured they were able to make solid contact against the rotor when reassembled. I used a very light oil along the shaft and seals prior to putting it back together.
Less than a 30 minute , 0 dollar repair. I can imagine however, that the 911 wiper motor is quite a bit more difficult to remove and install than one mounted on a flat firewall with just 4 screws.
+++
Old 03-18-2005, 06:30 AM
bubba sc
Cruisin'

Cheers guys, i couldn't get the wiper arms off last night so i've put some penetrating oil on the base of the arms and i'll have another go tonight. I did remove the blower motor etc and disconnect the linkage for the wiper arm assembly and the motor works ok when not connected. The arms are very stiff when you move them manually when not connected to the motor some i'm hoping a few drops of oil/grease in the right places will do the trick.

Quick Reply: Windscreen wipers.