Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 08:36 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring Passenger side power mirror

Hi Gruppe,

Continuing the saga of my upgrade to a RH mirror, I have a few questions. Any help gratefully accepted.

1) What is the routing of the cross-over harness. Does it go behind the guages, or under the dash?

2) Where is the plug where the corss-over harness meets the dirver's door wiring.

3) Where is the switch that determines which mirror operates located? Can someone describe the location, or better, post a pic? I gather in earleir cars like mine, it is on the dash somewhere. Is there a pre-cut in the dash, like for the rear wiper and sunroof switch?

4) When compared to the existing hole for the speaker wires in the passenger door, where is the hole in the jamb for the mirror wiring?

5) can anyone tell me which wire goes where on the mirror selector switch? There are three (3).

Thanks so much for your help with this. I could figure it out, but the wisdome of the forum will doubless save lots of time and profanity.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Dave: It's been about 10 or 12 years since I've messed with the dual mirror system, but...
Your #1: The harness goes behind the guages and fresh air mixing boxes. You will find bend-over tabs to hold the harness in place. This will also make it easier to get the harness to the doorpost, and then the door.
Your #2: Usually it can be found between the fresh air mixing box and the bulkhead to the rear of where the fuel filler pipe enters the trunk area.
Your #3: If you press against the material almost directly below the center of the oil press/temp guage you will find the rectangular hole for the crossover switch.
Your #4: Pull away your trunk carpet from the passenger side rear corner of the trunk. You will see a large hole (directly below the small tab that provides a surface fror the trunk light switch to contact) - that is NOT the hole you want - it's only for the antenna. The mirror harness hole is about 6" to the rear of the antenna wiring hole, just to the rear of the hood hinge.
Your #5: Unknown.
Best of luck!
Pete
Old 03-12-2005, 12:10 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks very much Peter,

That is a great start. Now, my antenna is on the Driver's side. Will the hole for a passenger antenna still be there?

TIA,
Old 03-12-2005, 12:17 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks very much Peter,

That is a great start. Now, my antenna is on the Driver's side. Will the hole for a passenger antenna still be there?

TIA,
Old 03-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Yes, the opening (hole) for power antenna wiring should be there... as should the access hole for wiring intended to go into the right door.

Pete
Old 03-16-2005, 08:37 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Peter, (or anyone else who cares to chime in...)

I have been stripping carpet and while in the car checked the dash. The only cutouts for switches I can find is the one for the sunroof (between the drivers side left-most gauges) and the rear wiper switch located between the tach and speedo. I am using the latter for a carrera cooler T-stat override for the cooler fan.

I am wondering if, since the RH mirror was an option (factory?) in '76 if the cutout is there. Also, I am wondering if the Drivers side harness is different if there is a RH mirror as opposed to a single, driver's mirror.

I know it's cloudy, but any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. I'd like to wire it as it was OE but failing that, I'll pour over the wiring diagrams and build something.

Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Dave: I'm really confused and stretching my memory here. I've never seen a '76 or later dash that didn't have the crossover switch hole, neatly covered by the standard black material. The cutout is located so the switch, when installed, faces down toward the floor. Again, it should be directly below the oil press/temp gauge on the flat surface after the metal curves forward to an almost horizontal plane. Regarding the harness differences, you have to find a good parts guy at the dealer and run through the early books/microfilm to come up with the numbers. Also, a reminder: Before you drill the necessary openings in your right door be aware that the mirror sits back about 3" farther than the left one. Best of luck with the project - it's a tough one!
Pete

Quick Reply: wiring Passenger side power mirror