Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

alternator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 01:39 PM
97*Sunshine
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator replacement

How much of a job is it to replace an alternator yourself on a 911? My car is an '85. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:24 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not too tough. Here's a link to a tech article on how to do it. It took me a couple of hours total to remove and replace.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eg_replace.htm

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2005, 02:30 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess it depends on how handy you are, and how small your hands are. it is definitely a wrenching, little finesse type of job, but fussy. OTOH, it's hard to screw up if you disconnect the battery, read some instructions and use good shop procedures.

After disconnecting the battery, you loosen the fan belt but undoing the nut on the alternator shaft, using the spanner supplied in your tool kit for the car. Careful, there are shims on both sides of the pully. to save time later adjusting belt tension, note how many shims are where. Once the belt is off, loosen the fan shroud strap and draw the alternator back as far as the wires behind it will allow, then remove the small (10 mm socket) nuts holdint the alternator into the shroud. then disconnect the wires and remove the alternator. Make note of the position of the plastic deflector.

Installation is the reverse. The tricky part is those darn 10 mm nuts.

Now, I've had mine out i guess 4 times, and it is probably the job I hate most, but it does get better the more you do it.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed a new alternator in my '89 911. It was my first time doing that specific repair, and I found it relatively quick and easy. The advice you've already had about disconnecting the battery first, taking your time with the little nuts that hold the plastic air deflector and noting the way the wires are angled before removing them is pretty much all the "heads up" you'll need to do the job. I found my back hurting a bit after spending an hour or so bent over to do the work, but I don't think I uttered even one profanity thoughout the process. I might add that I called Vertex in Florida and asked for their best price on a new rather than rebuilt alternator. They were very, very accommodating to me, I thought. If you need a replacement, you might want to check them out. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:37 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not a tough job.

While you have the shroud and fan out, this would be a good time to polish and powdercoat them.

Quick Reply: alternator replacement