bra fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bra fitment issues

The title sounds a bit questionable, but I'm talking about the car, honest.

I have a factory two piece bra for an 84 Carrera w/spoiler, fog lights and headlight washer optional cut-outs. (P/N 503 911 17)
I have it on the car and to my surprise, it doesn't fit very well around the headlights. I have Euro style H4s instead of the original sealed beams.
I have thought of taking it to an upholstery guy to have the headlight openings enlarged and the edges re-bound with new felt.
Any other (better or worse) suggestions on a remedy to this ill-fitting factory bra?
BTW, I'm guessing that this is why I was so unhappy with the fitment of the brand new Colgan 1-piece (PR-103C) that I have sitting in the garage now. (for sale, please inquire if interested)
+++
Old 03-05-2005, 11:44 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan: I have a Colgan two-piece, and it doesn't fit well around the headlights either. I wonder if Colgan is the supplier for Porsche. I haven't found a solution, and I just live with it.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:20 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan Cobb, you said you have a one piece bra. Does it fit an 84-89 Carrera? Do you have a picture, as I have not seen a one piece for the Carrera's? The one piece bra's I am aware of were on the 911's up through 1983. The fog lights don't line up with the openings for Carra fog lights and license plate (Texas has front plates). The bra from my 76 won't fit my 88 Carrera. There were two types of one piece bra's, one fit over the headlights, and did not touch the hood. It was secured with bendable aluminum /fabric coated flanges and underneath the front bumper/valance. The other was the one piece bra that slipped over each back corner of the hood and wrapped forward and to the inside of the lights and around to fasten to the rear (side) of the bumper and under the front valance. It protected the entire hood, headlight area and valance. The only drawback is that you had to take it loose to get into the trunk.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

The 1-piece that I have is the type that holds on along the bottom of the spoiler and fenderwells with the tabs. It 'bridges' across the front fenders and headlights.
It is best described on Colgans website PR103C

I checked for fitment on the 88 and came up with a different part#
PR303C

I cannot imagine what the differences might be since fenders, bumper, headlights and lower valence are identical up to 89.
Perhaps they finally got the fit a bit closer, but who knows.
I contacted them directly via email to ask about the correct fitment, etc. for my car but they never responded.

website is www.colgancustom.com
+++

Last edited by Dan Cobb; 03-05-2005 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Colgan links almost work
Old 03-05-2005, 06:46 PM
glenncof
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a bra on a 1985 911. Don't let it get wet and stay on the car. It will damage the paint. I'll never have another one.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Isn't that sort of like saying "I had a tire once that went flat....."?
The bra didn't cause the paint damage, you did by not removing it while it was wet.
Directions suggest removal of the a if it gets wet.
+++
Old 03-10-2005, 02:17 PM
UberScheitzer
Addict
Rennlist Member

When is a bra not fitting an issue?
Haha sorry couldnt resist...

Quick Reply: bra fitment issues