Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Hard Time Closing the Deal

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 12:31 PM
OneNineElevenGuy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Hard Time Closing the Deal

I am activly trying to purchase a 911SC or Carrera. Twice I have found good cars, did the visual thing, and payed good money to Porsche garages, only to have the seller back out or refuse the offer made for the car.
Three things are happening:
The Mechanics are getting rich.
The sellers are getting their cars inspected at my cost.
My Porsche fund is getting smaller.

What am I doing wrong???
Old 01-28-2003, 01:58 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark - agree on a price prior to the PPI, but make the sale contingent upon a satisfactory PPI. That way you have the power to end the deal, but not the seller.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:00 PM
zzopit
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hang in there, true frustration is overpaying or, worse yet, buying a crapper that needs a $9000 surgical procedure within weeks. Know what you are looking at so you do not waste time and $$$ on inspecting a turd. Buy a car that needs a little work and use it as a negoiating point, then get it fixed. SC and 3.2s are getting old, you may never find one that needs "nothing" and if you do, $20,000+ may be the price. Find the right car? be ready with a large cash deposit and close the deal next day.

Worked for me every time....
Old 01-28-2003, 06:13 PM
Hetmann
Intermediate

Mark - Do your research and look at a lot of cars, for sale and otherwise. Don't pay for a PPI unless you are sure that you have a deal if it checks out. The market for p-cars is quite soft in Denver during the winter and with this economy so the sellers should be motivated.

I'd be happy to go look at some cars with you if you'd like.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:50 PM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, it's tough to have leverage negotiating when you're already got your money invested into someone else's car...

Negotiate the price, then set a cap on the ppi (say, less then $200 cost - to - cure ) and you buy the car at the agreed price. Anything more and you're open to decline or regnegotiate.

rjp
Old 01-30-2003, 12:33 AM
'89 cab
AutoX

Be patient and do your homework. My feeling is that there are many of us who love the cars so much that we'd just as soon keep it or let our 16 year-old drive it rather than selling it for less than what it is worth to us. (This was the case with my '68 912 that I drove forever before I gave it to my oldest son.) Or just keep it as an infrequently driven garage queen or possibly a rainy day transport (if its worn).

Unfortunately, there are also sleaze ***** trying to make a buck on abused vehicles.

Read and generally trust Rennlist and Pelican Parts forums. Get a prepurchase inspection, especially if you are a rookie. I spent six months on each of my last two purchases -- I had to create databases to track information. Make it a game that youexpect to win. Prepare with knowledge.

I'm selling an '84 Targa because I just purchased an '89 Cabriolet -- I may give the Targa to my fifteen year-old son if I don't get an honest offer. The Targa lived in a carpeted, heated garage, next to a Speedster with original paint before I turned it into a daily driver. I had basic knowledge and it certainly felt right.

Determine first what you really want. Call and ask questions, look at many, drive several, be patient. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:06 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Mark;

I sent you a private email. I have a nice 86 Carrera for sale. 66K miles and I have owned it for close to 10 years. PCA, Rennlist paid member. I'll give you all the stories on the car.

Don
Old 01-31-2003, 12:19 PM
gerry100
Pro

It always helps to determine how motivated the seller is.

If they don't have to sell and are testing the market it can be difficult. When I started my search the first two cars I looked at were overpriced and the owners had high expectations. I made what I thought was a fair offer, they were aghast and I moved on.

When I bought my '86, I knew that the PO was trying to close on a new car and didn't like the trade in he was being offered. I knew what the trade would be, calculated the state tax differences and knew what his " break even" was.
This determined my offer.

What I paid turned out to be a price fair to both parties and "at market".

Quick Reply: Hard Time Closing the Deal