Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Battery losing charge

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 04:25 PM
redidrum
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still say check the overhead lights for grounding out first, unless you like throwing money away first. I go cheap first, then throw money in the air. Good Luck. Ron
Old 03-05-2005, 06:59 PM
glenncof
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. It sounds like bad battery / cell. Bad cell will be dis-colored, blackish.

I take mine to Sears, as I have Die Hards. I lived in New England for 15 years and Rochester NY for 3 so I know about hard starting.

BUT I have a 24mA leak on the interior lighting /clock circuit (always powered) I haven't found it so I disconnected one of the wires at the fuse block. This is miniscule amount relative to battery capacity but sufficient to draw down if car not operated for a few weeks.

To identify offending circuit put the mA meter in series with battery, remove a fuse at a time. Then see if there are multiple wires connected to fuse terminal, test each one separately.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:27 AM
BJJones
Instructor

Hi and thanks for all your help.

I fitted a new Bosch Silver 88ah battery last night and it has transformed the car, I have none of the poor starting issues I used to have and all the lights (interior and exterior) burn brighter and whiter instead of having a yellow hue to them.

The battery was bigger than the 66ah one fitted and was a bit of a struggle to fit, luckily there is a second hole in the battery panel that seems to be placed so you can mount the fixing bracket for a larger battery? maybe a happy coincidence.

I assume that the alternator was struggling to keep up with a stuffed battery?

The only issue I had is that when I connected the new battery a long dormant alarm decided it would be a good time to wake up! jumped out of my skin and had to cut through the alarm sounder power feed to silence it (no alarm fob).

The car wouldn't start as I couldn't turn the alarm off and the immobiliser circuit was still live, managed to bypass it as the alarm wasn't too clever.

I am having both old alarms properly removed and the wiring repaired on Saturday and a new Category 1 alarm with central locking control fitted.

Thanks again

Barry
Old 03-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"The battery was bigger than the 66ah one fitted and was a bit of a struggle to fit"

As I said before, be aware of potential alternator damage when using the "monstor"
batteries in the 911s with the Paris-Rhone alternator, i.e. they charge higher than
the Bosch alternators which can overload the alternator when heavy duty batteries
are used.

A standard size battery with good CCAs is more than adequate for most/all 911s.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:07 AM
BJJones
Instructor

My alternator is Bosch and Bosch recomend the 88ah battery, but thanks for the heads up I will keep an eye on things for the next few weeks.

Barry
Old 03-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

My comments were mainly in reference to early 911s (pre the 964s) which
did not use the Bosch alternator (except the real early 911s pre 1970).
The Bosch alternator provides a much lower voltage (13.75 vs 14.75) than the
non-Bosch unit. Even with this lower voltage, ANY alternator is prone to fail
with a battery "sinking" too much current when combined with all other "loads".

Quick Reply: Battery losing charge