Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What's the lowdown on 911s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 04:13 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Note this doesn't always mean that your '71 has any galvanizing... "introduced" could refer to Europe, or mean that after the August vacation in '71 they started using galvanizing on models that were made in '71 but sold as '72 models...

There is also the question as to what changes/improvements were made as they went along, if any....

But I'm glad we have an official oracular source for this.

Somewhere around then they produced the "long life car" demonstrator, (924 ?) and the stainless steel 911 demonstrators.

PAG has always been proud of their environmental record, and this was an idea to reduce the waste of having to scrap a vehicle after it rusted. It is also a good idea for a highly technical company, because it pointed up the importance of advanced design that could endure for decades - there wold be no point in that if the whole car were replaced every 8 years or so.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:18 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Other items from above:
- the engine over the rear wheels gives better traction and might be a selling point....
- I find the 911 hard to access - compared to a '71 2002 BMW I had everything is a lot harder to do. Dunno w.r.t. a 944. The early 911s are conceptually very simple tho w/o all the electronic stuff strewn about on the later cars.
- it depnds on how you define "bang" - there is nothing like the driving feel of a 911. And you can hotrod it to super car levels. Just check out Jack's car -- and he could have gotten more power from the engine if he had wanted to add even more $$, or less wt. if he wanted to swelter w/o A/C. Or you can just go with a puny 250 hp like me. Or leave it stock.

Quick Reply: What's the lowdown on 911s?