Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

80 SC:drvr side valve cover gasket leaks and weltmeister gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 09:38 PM
redtdi96
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80 SC:drvr side valve cover gasket leaks and weltmeister gaskets

I have replace the gasket several times, last summer I replaced the valve covers with turbo covers (same as I had). I still got a very slight leak that would hit cat and smoke like a jet flying low. Each time I used a fresh silicon beaded gasket.

I bought the weltmeister thicker silicon gaskets, but have not driven the car as it is off the road for the winter.

So what are my chances that the new weltmeister gaskets will solve my problem, has anyone used these?

Thanks
Bruce
Old 02-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bruce: Not nearly enough info. How many miles on the engine? Does oil also run down the outboard side of the left chain box and drip on the floor? I can't imagine an oil leak that reaches the catalytic converter, it would be a monster! When the covers are off do you look, with a dentists mirror, to check leakage at the ends of the rocker shafts? I would suspect the left cam oil line, but there is no way oil can reach the cat from inside the engine compartment on a properly assembled car, unless it's flying everywhere and rotted away the engine bay seal! I assume that your Turbo covers are new - did you check them with a straight edge? Are you using proper hardware - aluminum sealing washers and new 8mm nylok nuts? Do you snug the nuts from middle out, alternating upper, then lower? Do you then torque the nuts to 18lb/ft? Let me know...
Pete

Quick Reply: 80 SC:drvr side valve cover gasket leaks and weltmeister gaskets