Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Carrera Valve Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 12:08 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

der Mond: Thanks for the encouragement regarding MN - we're burning up the MN job banks! Let us know what you find regarding the thermostat o-ring!
Pete
Old 05-23-2005, 08:41 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Thermostat O-Ring

Pete,
I finally got around to sleuthing after the top thermostat, and yes, it was wet. I actually changed the o-ring without lowering the engine or removing any more than the air flow meter and air filter housing; thank God I don't have big hands. Thanks so much for the advice. I ordered new oil lines and tried 5-6 applications of PB Blaster on the external thermostat connections, but the oil line connectors refuse to budge. This is a 1987 with 130K miles. I tried a little propane torch heat as well, no dice. Any further wisdom on getting those lines off? I don't want to try inordinate force.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

der Mond: Nice going on the thermostat o-ring, be thankful that you don't have an SC!

Oh boy, the oil lines, that's a rough one. I've done a few cars with the same situation, and on most I had to replace the regulator housing. On one car I even had to replace one of the cooler hard lines. All that I can tell you is to put the car where it can sit undisturbed, put the heat to those lines (you should see red on the line nuts) and break them loose (I use extra long specific size wrenches) any way that you can and get the stuff out of the car. Then order all the parts you will need for the repair. Best of luck with the project!
Pete

Quick Reply: Carrera Valve Noise