Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Flywheel Seals installed: 2. Leaking Flywheel Seals: 2.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 03:45 PM
brg2290
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flywheel Seals installed: 2. Leaking Flywheel Seals: 2.

Over the past several months, my car (78 911 SC) has been undergoing a rebuild. The engine ran for the first time last weekend, but remained at the shop where the work is being performed, in part so the mechanic could check for leaks.

I spoke with the mechanic on Tuesday of this past week. He reported finding a leak attributed to the newly installed Flywheel Seal. In passing, he mentioned having this problem on another SC he rebuilt recently. He ordered a replacement flywheel seal, and installed at it the end of this past week. Result: Same, the second flywheel seal leaked also!

The mechanic says he is using the only part number applicable for the SC (which I believe to be 999.113.426.40).

So, specifically, here are my questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced a newly installed leaking flywheel (i.e. could there be a bad lot of this part number in the supply chain?)

2. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this issue? Know in advance that the mechanic doing the work has extensive experience working on Porsche's, and has installed this part hundreds of times before.

Thanks, Gary S.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:58 PM
M491
Racer

Yup, had that exact same problem on my 78.

Are you using a seal that is all black? That's what I did. They both leaked.

Went to a shop and we looked up the part. They found a superceded Carrera part number for the SC seal. The updated seal is two toned. Black on the outside, brown on the inside where it rides on the crank. (I think the brown material is Viton).

Anyways, we installed the updated seal and the problem was 100% solved! I'd never install that all black seal again!
Old 01-29-2005, 04:24 PM
brg2290
AutoX

M491...Thanks for the reply. Any chance your work order has the Carrera part number on it?

Gary S.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:14 PM
M491
Racer

No, sorry, I don't have the car or the paperwork anymore. Maybe look up the current part number for the 84-89 Carrera seal. I do remember that he said it was a Carrera seal when we ordered it, but there was something that showed the SC number being superceded to the Carrera number.

We ended up sourcing it from the local dealership.

Quick Reply: Flywheel Seals installed: 2. Leaking Flywheel Seals: 2.