Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Chicago Porsche Mechanic?....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 05:04 PM
bonaturtle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chicago Porsche Mechanic?....

Any suggestions on a downtown mechanic? I'm going to be looking for a 911 starting in June, hopefully finding one sometime soon after that, and want to meet a local mechanic first, might have some leads on some cars.

Found one in Oklahoma I like, 1988 911 for $13k, PPI clean, but I just don't have the coin right now. TIA
Old 01-27-2005, 07:49 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

bonaturtle - if you send me an email I think I may be able to help. montgom_rob@yahoo.com
Old 01-28-2005, 12:01 AM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Downtown there aren't many. I've heard good things about VAIA Auto but I haven't used them, and there are two places in Lincoln Park that work on Porsches. You can see both from the Brown Line. Anything I can't do, I go to Fischer Motorsports in Barrington, but I'm thinking of getting one of the local shops a try.

Emanuel
Old 01-29-2005, 09:28 AM
theclaw
Advanced

I bought my '84 from Midwest Performance Cars on Belmont. While wrenching on cars in not his main line of work (he's a small dealer) he repairs and backs up what he sells. In november when I bought my car Tom mentioned that he was moving to a larger location near Kedzie and he would be adding some repair bays.

My buying experience with him was terrific. He also came higly recommended. His website is:

midwestperformancecars.com

Unfortunately, I live in the western suburbs and while its possible to schlep back and forth to the north side its a pain. Rob, any of the names you have in the western 'burbs? There is a dealer in Downers Grove. The parts guy there was very helpful any opinions about their service?

Jeff
Old 01-29-2005, 01:11 PM
gdepree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by theclaw
I bought my '84 from Midwest Performance Cars on Belmont. While wrenching on cars in not his main line of work (he's a small dealer) he repairs and backs up what he sells. In november when I bought my car Tom mentioned that he was moving to a larger location near Kedzie and he would be adding some repair bays.

My buying experience with him was terrific. He also came higly recommended. His website is:

midwestperformancecars.com

Unfortunately, I live in the western suburbs and while its possible to schlep back and forth to the north side its a pain. Rob, any of the names you have in the western 'burbs? There is a dealer in Downers Grove. The parts guy there was very helpful any opinions about their service?

Jeff
I actually just finished purchasing a 911 from him myself. My soon to be brother-in-law has gotten one there, as well as my cousin. Tom runs a solid shop and as stated, he will be expanding shortly. He's very accomodating and attempts to get you the best deal he can. His labor rates are VERY decent in comparison to some of the other high end locations and his on-site mechanic has been working on air-cooled engines for most of his life. I would definitely suggest stopping in, emailing, or giving him a call. If he can't help you, he'll probably have a list of places to try.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:40 PM
theclaw
Advanced

Originally Posted by gdepree
I actually just finished purchasing a 911 from him myself. My soon to be brother-in-law has gotten one there, as well as my cousin. Tom runs a solid shop and as stated, he will be expanding shortly. He's very accomodating and attempts to get you the best deal he can. His labor rates are VERY decent in comparison to some of the other high end locations and his on-site mechanic has been working on air-cooled engines for most of his life. I would definitely suggest stopping in, emailing, or giving him a call. If he can't help you, he'll probably have a list of places to try.
Glad to hear others are having the same experience.

jeff
Old 01-29-2005, 08:42 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

I'm not far from them and I've seen their sales floor but never stopped in. Might give them a try. Thanks.

Emanuel
Old 01-29-2005, 09:08 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PorsChicago

I had a PPI done at Midwest Eurosport in Bensonville. They seemed to know what they were doing and had a good attitude. I'd recommend not being afraid to travel a bit for excellent service. If you get a good car, it shouldn't be in the shop that often.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:33 AM
bonaturtle
Advanced

agreed,
I just want to get a solid car, but it doesn't have to perfect. I don't mind traveling a bit further for good service either.

Anyone know of any 87-89 coupe's out there for $15k or under? I pretty much dig any color other than white, red, or brown
Old 01-31-2005, 09:36 PM
Bernd
Intermediate

both these guys do Porsche work.. I'd trust either one...

chris streit at http://www.moto-delta.com/

or

souk at http://www.motomotions.com/

Last edited by Bernd; 01-31-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:50 PM
por1984
Intermediate

eurocars in franklin park---90% porsche work---street and track--ask for andy 847-455-1006
Old 01-31-2005, 11:44 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Sol at Perfect Power in Libertyville. It's 40 minutes north of the city, but he does good work.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:45 PM
bonaturtle
Advanced

didn't find much on the two website mentioned above, no address on the shops. Thx for all the suggestions, good to know there are some quality shops in around the city. Has anyone used that shop on the corner of Willow/Bissell in Lincoln Park? There are always Porsche's going in and out of there.

Found another killer coupe, 88 Marine Blue Coupe, at $14,500. Would need new seats (I like perfect seats) and a good tune up. If I jumped on it, would probably offer $12,000. Has 130k mileage.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:03 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Moto-delta is in Naperville, way out of the city. I know the shop you mean in Lincoln Park, but I've never used them. It is always crawling with Porsches though, especially during the summer.

Emanuel
Old 02-01-2005, 02:39 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Glad to hear I am not the only patron of Tom's on here! I just recently purchased my 930 from him and in the past have bought a M3 and 964 Cab from him. He has also sold 3 or 4 cars from me. Outstanding cars, outstanding service, as honest as they come.

Quick Reply: Chicago Porsche Mechanic?....