Time-Certs V Case Savers

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 03:49 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Time-Certs V Case Savers

OK guy here's the question -

is there a difference in the fitting of Time-Certs and Case Savers? I know and accept the argument of fine thread against coarse thread but how are they installed? I assume the Time-Cert is an interference fit into the existing thread? Is the block drilled and tapped for the coarser thread of the Case Saver and is it also an interference fit?

I'm about to have my 2.7 engine re-built and would like to understand how the stud/block issue is resolved before my car goes in in order to talk some sense to the wrench doing the job.

Don't want any guesses guys I want to here from someone who actually knows the answer. Emailed Wayne Dempsey - How to Modify and Rebuild the 911 Engine where many paragraphs are spent on the subject but actually he doesn't know the answer to my question because he has not done it.

PJC
Old 01-27-2005, 12:07 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I presume you saw this thread at Pelican?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...vers+timeserts
Old 01-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Over the years all of the mag case engines my shop repaired were done with case savers installed in the head stud holes (we felt that they offered a far stronger solution than Time-Serts). The job should be performed, one case half at a time, on a precision vertical mill, which insures that the studs end up perpendicular to the case for perfect cylinder & cylinder head fit. Also, at the same time, the cylinder base surface for each cylinder can be touched up, to the same depth, for optimum cylinder seating and sealing.
Pete
Old 01-30-2005, 10:51 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete,

Thanks for the response - it all makes perfect sense but still not sure if the case savers are an interference fit in the existing theaded hole or if the case is drilled out and tapped to take the coarse thread?

PJC
Old 01-31-2005, 12:10 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The case holes are all drilled, then tapped, prior to case saver installation...
Pete

Quick Reply: Time-Certs V Case Savers