Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Questions for 911 SC owners.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 10:28 AM
sjphill
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pablo
I encourage you to look at the Rennlist or Pelican bbs "cars for sale" galleries. I bought my car from a rennlister, a guy that I know financially supports this forum. I guess I feel that someone who feels like part of the community, is also someone who will view their maintenance of the car, and respect for the marque, as more than just a garage bragging point and lifestyle adjunct. Of course, since Im a member of this forum, and bought my car wit the help of this forum, I'm a little prejudiced! :-)
Old 01-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Pablohsu
Track Day

Thanks Everyone. I have narrowed it down to 1981 ~ 1983 911SC coupe. Color choices are Black, Blue, Silver, charcoal or Dark Grey and last Guards Red (Beautiful color but cops are attracted to red cars). Also how much are a set of recaro seats? Some of the interiors have torn or very worn out seats. Most of the cars are over 150K miles.

If the car doesn't come with Fuch rims, where can I get 16 inch rims for the SC?

also, If a certain car I am looking at doesn't have the chain tensioners and the pop off valve, how much should I discount from their asking price?

I have also seen some cars that claim the clutch has just been changed? Does that mean they replaced the clutch for one with a spring center instead of the original rubber center clutch?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:12 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

The seats can be recovered with kits of Wolrd Upholstery or Original Fit interiors for under $1000. Add a new carpet kit for $500 or so and you've got a completely new interior.

Fuchs can be found all over: eBay, Wheel Enhancements, and the classifieds here and on Pelican.

Getting chain tensioners done is around $500 or so, parts and labor, depending on where you live. A pop-off valve is a $20 DIY job. Both could be done in a weekend by yourself using Wayne Dempsey's "101 Projects for your Porsche 911." (Speaking of which, the black 911SC coupe used in the book is for sale there.)

Nobody replaces the old clutch with another rubber-centered one - I don't you can even find them anymore.

And hey, I drive three Guards Red Porsches nad have had one ticket in 4 years (for doing 52 ina 45 ) Using discretion is your best weapon...

Emanuel
Old 01-20-2005, 06:21 PM
redidrum
Pro

Pablo,

I have the car in your range, but, I'm not selling. I decided on the early SC model too. As far as color goes, my color is called Schwarzmetallic. It looks Black at night and is a gun metal grey metallic. Gives me a reason to put a picture here. First things I did was change the Fuel Frequency Valve and Relay, Lowered the car, and fixed the Heater Assist motor. After your first go over with a good mechanic you should be maintenance free for a while. I love mine!

Go to http://www.autotrader.com or http://www.cars.com I wouldn't trust e-bay unless you live close enough to see the car yourself with a good ppi.

Good Luck,

Ron
Attached Images   
Old 01-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Pablohsu
Track Day

Redidrum:

Good point about ebay. I was tempted to buy some low priced cars, but they are out of state, I will stick to Southern CA cars, because I want to be able to take the car for a PPI. By the way, who pays for the PPI and how much are they usually?
Old 01-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Typically, the buyer pays for the PPI. Depending on labor rates and the extent of the inspection, they can range from $100 to over $400.

I agree that looking at the car yourself is always a good idea. Though, some people have posted over the years that they have had good luck with long distance purchases or 'site unseen' purchases that rely on pictures and/or a video.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no such thing as a cheap SC. Then again it depends on what kind of car you want, as someone else stated. A "Daily driver" can be found for much cheaper than an "Excellent" car. $15K should buy you a very nice SC.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:29 AM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, why limit yourself to those years? There differences between the early and late SCs are minimal, and it can be argued that the early models take to engine work a little better due to the larger intake ports.

I also wouldn't rule out a early 3.2 Carrera. You say want to have 200 HP, but buying a SC and modifying it to Carrera power would probably be more expensive than just buying a Carrera to start with.

Tom
Old 01-21-2005, 01:19 AM
umfan866
Racer

I am also looking for an older 911, either an SC or 3.2. Here is some of my advice as someone
who has does not have a Porsche (yet) but soaked up a lot of information recently:
1) read this board. read old threads (including some of the ones I started-you can search
by username) and see what people where considering buying, and how others responded.
In general you will find that people around here (and I consider them wise) say things such
as:
-every Porsche is 20k (you either spend it up front, or shortly thereafter to get it working)
-SCs, 3.2s, or 87-89's are all good cars- avoid earlier cars and buy the newest, most
recent one, in good shape that you can afford
-avoid cars that have been heavily modified, tracked, changed/alterered, changed color,
or anyone that has colorful stories and/or is not completely forthright -Porsche's are
afterall pretty attention-getting cars and they attract wierdos, thieves, etc.
-buy from a guy who is (or as close to possible) the original owner, has all the receipts,
can't stop talking about how great his car his and how he hates to have to sell it, and
the car is stock or has a few sensible performance-enhancing upgrades or recommended
factory upgrades
-avoid cars that are high-mileage and have no top-end job or rebuild because this may then
need to be done soon (but apparently high-mileage alone may not indicate the need for a
rebuild--this is where the PPI comes in and a qualified mechanic doing compression/leakdown
test
-in terms of places to look, check here in rennlist classifieds, your local craigslist,
local paper, ebay (see thread in the 993 forum on how to avoid ebay scammers), and you
will find in the magazines and in the classifieds here certain dealers who specializs in 911s
-read or buy EXCELLENCE magazine- they have a whole section each issue devoted to recent
buying experiences including what someone paid and got, and commentary on if that was a
good deal or not, etc.
-don't limit yourself geographically too much - other renlisters may be willing to check
out a car for you and you could have fun driving it back from somewhere
Good luck!
Of the top of my head, this guy's car looks nice and he also has it posted on Pelican->
Technical Forums->Porsche's for sale...if you can take the burgundy color...
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/56357632.html

my two cents!
Old 01-21-2005, 10:49 AM
gregg911
Instructor

Pablo, since you are so close, you might want to check out the Pomona swap meet. I've seen rims, parts, engines, etc.

www.pomonaswapmeet.com

Once you get the car, you might think about joining PCA or POC, you'll get to know Porsche people with a lot of info.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:47 AM
SoonerE39
Instructor

OT: Redidrum, you r car looks exceptionally nice with the lowered stance, newer wheels and the more unique Schwarzmetallic
Old 01-21-2005, 01:24 PM
john d 81SC
Racer

Pablo,

If there is a local PCA in your area, (as well as neighboring PCA's) you'd be well served to spend some time there. Go to a few of their meetings, if they have a newsletter, check their classifieds, let the members know you're looking for a car. Find out who are some of the mechanics they have faith in, and contact those people, again letting them know you're looking for a car, as well as them being rfesources for the PPI. As you've already read and found out firsthand, there are a LOT of dogs out there, and these cars can be very expensive to make right. In my experience, the search was a lot of fun and very educational. RE: your HP requirements - IF you join your local PCA and begin doing Driver's Ed, you'll quickly discover there is a LOT of car in the stock SC before you're driving it at its limits. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:00 PM
redidrum
Pro

Pablo,

I second the talking to Porsche mechanic. Most have one for sale or know someome that has one for sale and they usually know the history of the car since they probably worked on the car.

Sooner,

Thanks for the compliments. I need to repaint the car. Too many little chips. I want to change the color to Midnight Blue like my 928. Is the Schwarzmetallic a real rare color? Should I attempt to change the color? I just can't get myself to enjoy the color.

Ron
Old 01-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Pablohsu
Track Day

Redidrum:

The schwarzmetallic is a black metallic, it is supposed to be an expensive color option, I wouldn't change it. Like many said, is better to leave the color as original.

By the way I found a car in my area is 1981 911sc guards red. The seat is rip in bolster driver side. Owner says he doesn't know if A/C works or the heater, says he doesn't turn it on. has 160K miles. new clutch and new paint. but doesn't know if it has the pop off valve and the chain tensioners. His asking price is $10,500.00 OBO My question: If A/c and heater don't work and he doesn't have the chain tensioners. what would be a fair price to ask for the car?

Anybody know where can I find a directory for independent porsche mechanics in my area?

Last edited by Pablohsu; 01-21-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Clipboard
Instructor

Ola. umfan from SFO hit it right, and for a bundle of other tips peruse these threads. I searched for six months - Autotrader, cars.com, eBay, PCA, et alia. Found mine in the Post (well, actually it was in a barnyard) and watched it go down in price over a month. Got the vin and did a CarFax on it. The owner had had a recent leakdown test done at a reputable shop and showed me the report. If I had it to do all over again - I would. At the time, I couldn't see getting a 84 or later as I wanted to do my own work. However, the 3,2efi/G50 is probably a better place for you to start (my 2cts). As for wheels, (heresy here) you might think of later 17in as 16in tires are getting harder to find. Mine is also Schwartzmetallik. Got it for US10k and will probably have 20 in it. I've modified it to "unsellable" (a/c, radio, insulation, sound deadening, and heater gone - rollbar, OMP seat, G-Force harness, Optima battery, etc in). Whatever you get - it WILL be an experience! Enjoy the ride.
john

Quick Reply: Questions for 911 SC owners.