Fixing the windscreen washers

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 11:37 PM
RG5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing the windscreen washers

Hello,

I can't get the windscreen washers to squirt water onto the windscreen or headlights. I think the problem may be related to the pump at the front-right of the luggage compartment.

Is the pump on an '85 Carrera a generic pump that can be replaced a generic one from a motor parts place, or should I be going to the Porsche dealers to get another one.

Also to style of clamps that clamp the water lines have a crimping construction, not sure how they are supposed to work and they seem to be leaking a bit. They dont seem the same as modern day clamps in that they dont appear to be removable.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:35 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Check the T and L connectors first, then for sludge and gunk in the tank. You can make a generic pump fit.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:23 PM
RC_Targa
Track Day

I'd also check the tubing - on my 84 the tubing is broken in several places, therefore, no fluid to the windshield or headlamps.

Question - does anyone know what the replacement part is for the tubing?
Old 01-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

RG5: The clamps you mention are "crimp clamps", the only place I've ever found them is at a Porsche dealer, and you need a special plier to install them. Yes, they can be put on with other tools, but they won't look as good or seal as well. Be sure that you confirm that the pump has failed before you replace it, then follow Randy's suggestions...
Pete
Old 01-10-2005, 02:41 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem in my '88 and, in addition to the listed problems, the small pump mounted near the front bumber was full of debris and the gears were filthy. It's easy to remove and clean out though so I'd check that as well. It also takes a little time for the fluid to reach the squirters once the whole system has been drained.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:13 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any automotive parts place should have nylon tube in the size you need
Old 01-11-2005, 12:20 AM
AHEDAU
Instructor

Location: London Ontario-My Fleet:86Cab/95Coupe/ 01 Outback H6 VDC/ 01 PathfinderSE/65Beetle(Survivor)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was trying to remove a leaking clamp to repair a connection at the pump on my 86 with some side cutters pliers. One hose came off, the other seems to have snapped off at the pump (with the plastic pump spigot/hose barb inside). I suspect I will have to replace the pump because of this, or is there a way of installing a new hose barb?
Old 01-11-2005, 03:35 AM
RG5
Intermediate

what I can say is that while trying to remove the clamps to determine whether the pump was actually pumping water, I think I've affected the clamps to the extent that they started leaking forming a small puddle in my trunk. So I have disconnected the hose and bunged up the hose from the reservoir. I guess this means that I can now play with the pump motor. How can you tell if it works though? My thought was to take the hose from the pump off the t-piece and see if it squirts water into the air.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:52 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had this problem twice - first time it was one of the 'T' valves, second time sludge in the pump. The pump is easy to strip, clean and rebuild. My solution to stop this happening again was to stop using additives (car only used in summer so a good solution - more difficult if used all year round but then I guess the additive would sludge less?).

If I had problems with the tubing I think I would replace the lot - tubing, T and L valves.

PJC
Old 01-12-2005, 10:00 PM
RG5
Intermediate

OK. I dismantled the VDO pump last night and the pumping mechanism appeared to be clean.

So I reconnected the solenoid section with the shaft exposed that turns the pump and operated the washers and it doesnt turn (tried reversing the polarity on the terminals).

Now think my pump motor is stuffed, so I have little choice but to get another one.

Options are a new or used OEM pump or an aftermarket cheapie.

Being a porsche I am loathed to fit anything cheap on the car, but then again its only a washer motor not an new engine.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, but once you go to Pep Boys you might like it! If possible put a proper Porsche replacement pump in (it fits, you won't have to create a hold down system, etc.), feel good that you did, and enjoy being able to see through the mud thrown up by the huge dually pickup in front of you!
Pete
Old 01-13-2005, 12:36 AM
RG5
Intermediate

OK I will order the pump, probably a new one, but I really think I will ditch the clamps - one of which is now destroyed as they appear to be remove-only style. I think some proper de-useable hose clamps with a spring feature will be more easy to use. Hopefully then I will get some washer action with my wipers.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:36 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

pump is about $36 at Pelican

you can use screw type hose clamps

Quick Reply: Fixing the windscreen washers