Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'67 911S air filter housing

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 05:41 AM
Fred999
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '67 911S air filter housing

I recently had posted about my engine and some apparent oil leak and got some really good suggestions. Well, we had it up on the hoist the other day and it appeared that the oil was due to the oil being overfilled (I guess, a "high rent problem"). The excess oil was going into the air filter housing and dripping down through a hole in the middle of the housing onto the top of the engine. After taking out some oil, my mechanic attached a hose to underneath the housing, so that any future oil could be routed safely onto the ground. When I drove the car home there was no leaking, so the excess oil seems to be the culprit.

Does anyone know whether it was std. to attach a hose to this hole? It has a protrusion underneath that enables you to attach a hose, so it would seem like it was meant for it.

Fred
Old 01-09-2005, 12:47 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It also served to vent any fluids, oil, water, etc that would appear in the housing.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Fred999
Track Day

Originally Posted by Spider911
It also served to vent any fluids, oil, water, etc that would appear in the housing.
yes, but has anyone attached a hose to theirs for the drainage?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Fred: The 8mm hose (it's simply braided, early fuel hose) is attached to the tube on the bottom of the housing, its other end attaches to a tube that's part of a drain nipple that is mounted forward of the engine oil cooler. The drain nipple was originally metal, but they were replaced with plastic many years ago. It is mounted to the engine using one of the 6mm bolts that secure a part of the engine sheet metal (that meets the engine compartment seal), and the tube the hose from the air filter fits over appears through a small hole in the sheet metal. The tube part of the nipple is the only section of the nipple that you can see from the engine compartment. The hose (approx. 10" long) is specifically for any oil that might find its way into the housing. Remember, always check your engine oil with the car idling, hot, and on level ground. If you check the oil cold overfilling will occur.
Pete
Old 01-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Fred999
Track Day

great! thanks for the info.- its just what I need.

I will now go and look for the drain nipple. At the moment the hose is just exhausting out in front of the engine on its own.

Fred

Quick Reply: '67 911S air filter housing