Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Importing a 993 engine into the US - How difficutl is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005 | 10:03 AM
mmasse
Instructor

Default Importing a 993 engine into the US - How difficutl is it?

I plan to import a 993 Varioram engine into the US?

Anyone with experience on this can help me with these quesstions?

How complicate/expensive is it? Do i need any specific EPA certification?
What can of paper do i need from the einge in Europe?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:46 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

You do know that the US and ROW 993 Varioram engines are different?
It will cost you around $US1,400 (these costs may be higher now with the recent increase in Porsche pricing policy) in parts.
You will have to pull the ROW engine apart to fit the these components to bring it up to US specifications. Top end only I think but one of the 993 engine experts can fill in the blanks.
The ROW Varioram 993 engine does not meet US emissions requirements for road use.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 01-07-2005 | 02:31 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

It also depends on what car you're putting the engine into, and what state the car will be registered in.
Old 01-07-2005 | 03:40 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

In otherwards it might be cheaper and much less hassle to pick up a US spec engine in the USA.
Certainly make the move to the USA first and then investigate the importation requirements at both Federal and state levels.
Of course the visa status of the importer may also play a role here.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 01-07-2005 | 04:38 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

You need to have a customs station to pick it up at, most major airports have such a facility, pay your tax on used autparts and take it home. No EPA is needed on parts just the import duty.

I imported mine through Steve Timmons, but others have done it on their own. Biggest issue is a pickup truck and a couple of strong backs to move the pallet.

Each state has their own regs as to what emission requirements need to be satisfied for the finished auto, so you need to find out what is going to be needed where youm live, California is probably the worst but there are many places where nothing needs to be done as far as emissions are concerned.

The ROW engines chief advantage is that they are OBD1 therefore much easier to deal w/ electrically and exhaust wise.

Be sure that you get the engine, harness and DME from under the seat, I would also try to get the port and pigtail to hook up a DME reader(Hammer).

See if you can get yourself an RS, much easier than trying to build one from a basi vram, and well worth it.
Old 01-07-2005 | 04:49 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

What about just importing parts to modify a US engine to be OBD I, rahter than II?
Old 01-07-2005 | 04:53 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

The US versions have the OBD2 SAI ports drilled in the heads and cam carriers, you can certainly plug them but I would rather have unmolested ROW parts on my car. The ROW DME and harness can be adapted to a US engine Steve T. would be the person to contact in that regard
Old 01-08-2005 | 02:08 PM
mmasse
Instructor

thanks for you contributions.

Yes, i missed some important info, Adrian. the engine is going to be use for a converstion on a old 911 (from the 70s). so emission seems not be a problem.

Bill, will customs require any specific documentation on the engine itself. I wnat to know what I should ask to the guy fron whom I am getting the engine?

thanks a lot,
Old 01-08-2005 | 02:15 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

You want to break it into pieces, and ship it as 'engine parts' not an engine.
Old 01-08-2005 | 06:49 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

customs require any specific documentation on the engine itself
Just proof of ownership, I think that a bill of sale is fine but I would check w/US customs, as Jack pointed out there are different duties on different catagories of parts it would be worth checking that at as well.
Old 01-09-2005 | 05:24 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by mmasse
thanks for you contributions.

Yes, i missed some important info, Adrian. the engine is going to be use for a converstion on a old 911 (from the 70s). so emission seems not be a problem.

Bill, will customs require any specific documentation on the engine itself. I wnat to know what I should ask to the guy fron whom I am getting the engine?

thanks a lot,
I would also ask the US customs people if you are allowed to do this in the first place.
The answers given here are from Americans living in America. Not foreigners not even resident in the USA yet.
The rules may be same and it may be okay but I would still recommend you ask.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 01-12-2005 | 10:08 AM
mmasse
Instructor

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
You want to break it into pieces, and ship it as 'engine parts' not an engine.

Jack, if I do so, isn't there any problem after for registration? I mean don't I need a paper proving the importation of the engine into the US?

Adrian, I will doble check with Customs, but I plan to move there as a resident so it should not be a problem. The engine will go in the container with all my households items. I hope this makes things easier.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2005 | 06:22 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've seen several of these come out of the box, they are as removed from the car, I believe that the engine itself is just considered a part. Most remove the exhaust and ac. for installation in our hot rods.

Once customs is cleared the only other issue will be the emissions inspection for the local jurisdiction, as I mentioned Westchester County is an expanded inspection county where they actually put the car on a dyno and use a sniffer. In upstate where I live, there isn't even a visual. They just look at the gas cap to be sure it's sealed.

It can't be too big an issue as there are several such transplants runningh around down there, Rich Glickel could probably shed some light here, he lives down there and has a modded 964 in his Carrera.
Old 01-12-2005 | 07:29 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I was told there are different rules (and tarriffs?) required for importing entire motors. This is where customs might look for a DOT/EMP sticker. But engine parts are a different animal. How much the motor is 'broken into parts' is up to you. If no one ever looks at it, it's a non-issue.

Beyond that, I don't think you want to draw any attention to an imported motor. I can only imagine that causing headaches down the line. Even if the vehicle is given a cursory inspection, down the line, it's unlikely that a DMV employee is going to know what a Euro 993 looks like. So long as it's in an emissions-exempt car, things should be fine.

Quick Reply: Importing a 993 engine into the US - How difficutl is it?