Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pricing 1978 911SC 9000 mile coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 04:12 PM
pantera43
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys, I stepped away from this thread thinking it was dead. So here's a update. The owner has a clear title and a car fax to go with it. The last inspection sticker and registration on the windshield was from 98 with 8200 miles shown. It is really hard to say if the odometer was screwed with. I've seen this car many times in my passing over the years, just never noticed that it was parked permanently. The car has always been started from time to time. She stated it up for me with no stories. Her present husband... had just placed a new battery in it last month.

I drove it around the block. The tires had wibble wooble to them from flat spots, the brakes sounded terrible because of rust on rotors. It had a slight miss to it, shifted stiff at first and had a little trouble going from 1st to 2nd ok after a few shifts. Had a little trouble adjusting to the floor mounted pedals. Had the car idling for 15 minutes with no overheating problems.The valve covers were leaking alot as were some tubes.

The car isn't advertised as of yet other than a for sale sign in the window. I made an offer of 6000.00. This was Monday evening. They said they would discuss it and get back to me.

I have a friend of mine who works at Audi/VW dealership for many years and
does the heavy maintainance items. He also owns a early model 72 911 Porsche. He said said he'd look at it for me if a sale happens.

I'm new to Porsche cars. I've fully restored other cars in my time, 69 Boss 302 mustang, 69 Z28 camaro and my 71 Pantera which I presently own. These cars are a different beast though. I'm trying to learn as much about these as possible without falling into the money pit. I'm cautious about this car as some of you have made me aware. I do respect the opinions of everyone who's responded to my thread. There really isn't a deal in any car per say. You either pay up front or the backend. Its just a matter of having the resources, time and money. All which are limited.

I'm very appreciative of this board and its members. I'll keep you updated.

Pantera43
Old 01-06-2005, 03:30 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

P-43.... probably can't get hurt for $6K...if the car turns out to be a total mutt, you can get out of it for that. But just remember that even if the engine is fine, you will put $6-10 in it for paint and odds and ends. For $12-15K you can buy a really clean no excuses car.

Now, if you want to make it a hobby or learning experience, then that is a different story... if you are a good mechanic, no reason you cannot learn to work on Porsches... but the parts are pricey compared to 'mercan iron

My advice? Shoulda kept the 302 and the Z car.... huh?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:00 PM
pantera43
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the couple called last night and told me someone offered 8000.00. That pretty much closed the door. After reading the posts to this thread I began to really hear you guys and I got this gut feeling that I just missed a train wreck...

Addict, your pretty funny, actually I should probable change my name to addiction 11. The american iron pieces were alot of fun and self rewarding to restore but can't say I miss them. They braked and handled pretty bad. They certainly sounded nasty and went well in a straight line though. I guess I've gotten into the handling thing. I just can't seem to help myself when it comes to cars. I guess we all have this problem.......

As many people mentioned I'll keep looking. I think I'll start looking in a direction of a nice well cared for 87-89 Carrea. I'll get the rewards of driving it now, use it as a daily driver and simply maintain it.

Does anyone agree that these particular years and model will suit my needs as a daily driver.

Thanks again everyone

Quick Reply: Pricing 1978 911SC 9000 mile coupe