Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Intro to the group, new 911 owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004 | 11:30 PM
sjphill
Rennlist Member

Talking Intro to the group, new 911 owner

Thanks to yalls kind assistance in a previous thread, I am now the proud owner of an 87 Carrera that was listed in Rennlist. Its a gorgeous thing, I'll upload a pic as soon as I figure out how to. Its got 74K miles, coupe, white, burgundy interior, had new top end at 73K, records and maintenance going back 10 years.
I drove it two hours home tonight, my goodness, my ears still ring, what a beautiful sound to wind out on the interstate. Tracks steady and feels at 100 like my company car does at 60.
Guys, this is my public paeon of praise to the kindest sweetest wife a guy could have, that she let me take 20K of the family's money and spend it on a lifelong dream. Wow, Praise God that she loves me like that.

Thanks Rennlisters, for helping me make this decision
Ked, Im not insane now.

Personal details? Im 47, father of 3, manager at a large Atlanta computer company (HP). Salt water aquariums, kids, Christ are my other passions.
Im semi-experienced mechanic, I nursed an MGB for 6 years, looking forward to working on this thing some, looking forward to establishing a good relationship with a local mechanic some.
Old 12-31-2004 | 12:01 AM
RC_Targa
Track Day

Welcome Steve! I'm a new 911 owner as well and am as excited about it as you seem to be. The last four weekends I've been driving all over the back roads in my Targa just enjoying the experience. My personal details are similar to yours - 48yr old, two kids, manager at a large bank in SF, and I play the drums as a hobby. Plus, I also have a great wife that encouraged me to buy a 911 instead of a Chevy Silverado I had my eye on....got to love that!

Welcome again!!!
Old 12-31-2004 | 12:32 AM
gjtrek
Instructor

Steve and Rick, welcome. I too am a new Rennlist member, but long time Porsche owner. Just acquired 1998 C2S Artic Silver/ Midnight Blue... which caused me to seek out 993 info and voila I landed here. Still working on signature and avatar stuff. Regards, Gary
Old 12-31-2004 | 12:35 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Easy, now. Here's to hoping you don't need that great a relationship with a mechanic. At least not for a while anyway. Congrats on the car.

I recommend www.tinypic.com for posting pics. Very to use, and it's free. Just upload your pic to their site, and post the image URL address that the site gives you in the text of your post like so:

[ img ]http://tinypic.com.image.address.here[ /img ]

But, remove the spaces that I have inserted into the bracketed image commands [ img ]. (I put in spaces to prevent the server from thinking that I was trying to post a pic.) The text will be replaced by your picture. You can also use the attach image feature of the bbs software.

So let's see some pics.

Brett
Old 12-31-2004 | 10:37 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome to Porsche ownership, Steve. Enjoy.

Ian
Old 12-31-2004 | 11:55 AM
sjphill
Rennlist Member

thanks guys, I did put a pic of the car in my avatar, im going to clean it up today and take more pics, thanks for the tinypic tip Brett
Old 01-02-2005 | 11:42 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Welcome!! I grew up in San Mateo, CA/ Lafayette, CA and go to Bones in Atlanta as much as I can. I am supposed to be on the beach in Punta Cana tonight=BUT NO>>>>>>>>>>>>My 21 year old son goes out on his 21st B-day in NYC and gets his face bashed in. Now no vacation for me!!!!!!!
AAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH.............Thank god for wives smart enough to buy trip insurance!!!!!!!!!
Steve
Old 01-03-2005 | 02:46 PM
der Mond
Racer

Default Welcome to new members

I can so resonate with your joy, having purchased my first flat 6 in July. I was just thinking last night behind the wheel that I periodically get so jazzed driving my 911 that I just want to post some inspiring ode, but don't want to just be a sentimental gusher "attention *****"... After my first test drive, I felt it in my body for hours afterwards. And it is great to read your acknowledgment of your wife. Mine also graciously did not resist my spending the money; she periodically looks me in the eyes and says "I know who I married." You can't put a price on that, let alone, "If momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy." May y'all continue to enjoy what Ferry aimed for: "The most beautiful form of driving."
Old 01-05-2005 | 11:05 PM
theclaw
Advanced

Welcome aboard. I'm also new having purchased my '84 Carrera (44k mi) about 8 weeks ago. Now digging my way out of 8 inches of snow.

Jeff
Old 01-05-2005 | 11:33 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Congratulations.

There's a big group of new owners, lately. It's great to see guys get the car of their dreams.
Old 01-06-2005 | 12:23 AM
RG5
Intermediate

Add me to the list of new owners, from down under with this '84 911 Carrera Coupe.

I only picked it up on tuesday, and spent the first evening trying not to smile while idling at traffic lights with the engine thrumming.

Last night I was content to just detail the car a bit, got the leather seats all supple with some Meguiars leather conditioner. Also got the liquid Autosol out, as the car has an awesome custom exhaust with dual chrome tips. I am a bit of a detailing nut.

Tonight I'm taking her out to try out some shifting tips with the 915 transmission - see the seperate recent thead I started.

I've had some fast cars including a Nissan 200SX and a modifiled Subaru Impreza WRX, but with the Porsche I know Ive found something really special.

Richard.
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2005 | 01:01 AM
justkickenit
Instructor

Congratulations! I've had my car for only a year and still grin everytime I drive it. These things are so much fun to drive, the more I drive it the more addicted I become. I'm sure your car will have the same affect. My car, right down to the colors, has been my favorite since high school. I'm very greatful that my wife let me buy this without any hesitation.
Old 01-06-2005 | 01:42 AM
umfan866
Racer

justkickenit.

Nice Cab! Did you find that one locally (ie Bay Area) or did you travel for it ? Wow, an 88
too, has the G50 Gearbox.

Everyone-enjoy your new cars! I hope to own a 911 at some point too. I have driven two different 911's for test drives and the sound of that motor behind you is incredible. Marv.
Old 01-06-2005 | 09:03 PM
justkickenit
Instructor

umfan866,

Thanks for the kind words. The 86-88 turbos have the 930 4 speed gearbox. Porsche didn't start using the G50 in turbos until '89. I bought mine out of state (found it on ebay)so my wife and I flew there to pick it up and then had it shipped back to the Bay Area.
Old 01-07-2005 | 03:08 AM
Ron Minson
Pro

Welcome gentleman to the board. I totally understand how you feel. I have had my 85 coupe for just about a year now and I still get that same feeling each time I drive it. It is still as fun to drive as the first day I brought it home. There is something very unique about these cars and the way it makes each of us feel. It is almost as fun (but not quite) to detail them out as it is to drive. I almost never listen to the stereo, the sound of the engine is the sweetest music you can find. The car definitely has it quarks. Over steer can be a bit unnerving the first time it happens, but this wants to be driven. Let see some pictures

Thanks

Quick Reply: Intro to the group, new 911 owner