Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Intro to the group, new 911 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 03:27 AM
Ron Minson
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought i would throw in one of my car. Just cleaned it off after a drive. to cold and dark to take the pic outside.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:55 AM
theclaw
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ron Minson
I almost never listen to the stereo, the sound of the engine is the sweetest music you can find.
Funny you say that. I do the same thing. One of the reasons the PO sold the car was the 'noise' from the Bursch exhaust. I love it. It's one of the reasons I bought my '84 8 weeks ago.

jeff
Old 01-09-2005, 01:50 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like this forum is the place to be. I've looked at other Porsche forums and there just isn't lots of activity. I don't own one now, but I hope to br a proud owner of a 911 within the next 6 months.

I was in a serious motorcycle crash last year (July) and my wife and I have decided to give up riding. When we discussed it, I told her if we were giving up riding I wanted my 911. She agreed right away- no hestitation. Her previous husband had muscle cars, so Porsche engineering is different for her. She has grown to appreciate the 911 lines and styling and now shares some of the enthusaism I have for the cars.

I'm probably going with '87 or later models, but I don't like the 993. I love the original lines of the 911 cabs, so that's where I concentrate my searches. I like the newer functions on the 964, like ABS and airbags, and I really like the speed activated wing.

If any of you have advice about 87 vs. 964, please let me know. I haven't made up my mind completely yet and appreciate the input.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:37 PM
sjphill
Rennlist Member

ok, so still along the line of "My emotional reaction to owning a 911", this car just whispers "drive me fast" every time I drive it. Keeping it at 45 on curvy backroads is like driving an ordinary car at 15 mph. Upshifting to keep it sane sounds like lugging the engine, downshifting results in high revs which just begs revving it out. I completely see the justification for DE and track events, because driving this thing day by day is like sleeping platonically next to a beautiful woman, I want to run it out to the ultimate end, but i dont want to pay the penalty (in the p-cars case, flashing blue lights in the rearview). Do others hear that siren call everytime they drive??I want to get up at 4am just to drive up to NGeorgia and hit up country roads without traffic, sneak past the local dunk&donuts and count the constabulary so I can quantify risks, lag in traffic just so I dump it in 2nd and catch up QUICK. This car feels like an over-the-shoulder shot of a lionesses shoulders creeping up on an antelope, you can feel the tension in the gearing, the revs, the suspension, just LEAP/SHIFT/WIND IT OUT..........slowwwwwwwww it down.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:19 PM
justkickenit
Instructor

Hahaha. Oh yeah, you're not the only one! Because I drive my car in traffic during the week I like to take it out on weekends so that she can catch her breath. A couple of days a ago I took mine out for a spin. There was nobody on the road and I was doing about 80 in 3rd gear. The speed bug suddenly struck and before I knew it I was doing 110 in third gear at about 5000RPM. These cars like to rev and that's when they sound their best! I definately need to go to some DE events.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:43 PM
stay6
Intermediate

I just purchased my first Porsche, a 1984 911 cabriolet and have all the records including the original window sticker. It is pewter metallic w/ burgundy interior. It has 60K miles and I am the second owner. I have just joined Rennlist and look forward to sharing the experience. So far I have learned much from the on-line forum, specifically about the shifting, this car had only been driven about 1,000 miles in the last 3 years and the more I drive it the more it wants to be driven. Just thought I would share this wonderful experience with the rest of you. I am new to chat rooms and don't really understand how to get around. I can include a picture if someone can guide me in the right direction. I am just north of Dallas Texas.
Thanks, Scott
Old 01-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

I remember buying my first Porsche about 8 years ago, a black 1971 911 T. It had the 2.2 engine. I loved that car and kept it about 2 years. I have a later model TT now, but my absolute favorite was a M491 of 1985 vintage, also black. The process of owning and taking care of a Porsche is addictive! Try and do your own wrenching on your cars. Its like a bonding with the machine and you will get more satisfaction out of the car than you thought possible.
There is no substitute!!
Old 01-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

I remember buying my first Porsche about 8 years ago, a black 1971 911 T. It had the 2.2 engine. I loved that car and kept it about 2 years. I have a later model TT now, but my absolute favorite was a M491 of 1985 vintage, also black. The process of owning and taking care of a Porsche is addictive! Try and do your own wrenching on your cars. Its like a bonding with the machine and you will get more satisfaction out of the car than you thought possible.
There is no substitute!!

Quick Reply: Intro to the group, new 911 owner