Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Blower relay update

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004 | 12:08 AM
Marty916
Instructor

Default Blower relay update

First off, thanks to everyone that responded to my blower relay question. I ended up ordering a replacement which cured the problem of the dash blower continuing to run with the ignition off. Out of curiosity, after replacing the relay, I disassembled the bad relay by carefully prying the sealing lip up(the metal is very soft and easily uncrimps) and removing the guts of the relay. I then cleaned the contacts with spray contact cleaner and reassembled the unit. Be careful to properly install the composite electrical isolation shield and correctly orienting the mechanism with the mounting tab or the connector will be awkward to install. I then replaced the repaired relay and tested the system. Worked like a champ so now I have a spare. These things run $180 new so hopefully this process might save someone some money should they run into the same problem. I assume the same process can be utilized for any other metal can relays. Thanks again folks. This website has been very informative and helpful for a newbie and I appreciate the responses and expertise. Happy New Year to you all!
Old 12-30-2004 | 05:36 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Marty

I assume that this is the main relay at the motor? I think I might have to follow your cue & try a rebuild because my footwells aren't getting power (no power to the footwell relay in the front) so I suspect it. Back blower works, flappers work etc etc, just no footwells - fuse is fine etc so it must be the relay.

Thanks for the tip.

Ian

Quick Reply: Blower relay update