Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Refinishing Fuchs

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 12:12 PM
RC_Targa
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When shipping your wheels, what's the preferred method? Four boxes with one wheel a piece, or together in a large box? I'd hate to have UPS lose one wheel!

Also, does Al or Harvey include their shipping fees in the total cost of wheel refinishing?

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:17 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I've shipped four wheels at a time in one box. Uhaul has a wardrobe box that works well but only for wheels that are 8" or less. Otherwise I have used two boxes - two per box. UPS ground, or DHL ground. I use lots of layers of bubble wrap and cardboard. Never had a damaged rim...

No, they typically don't include shipping in the price. But since you are in CA - and they are both in CA - should be negligible
Old 12-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Jeremy,

Old cars can be a pain though. I had the 2.2L 'S' motor recently rebuilt and now we are starting on a rebuild of the RS motor. Man, will I be happy when this is over with and both cars are done.

RC,

I have shipped wheels with the tires on them to Harvey's shop. Just cover the front and back of the wheel and tire with thick cardboard and tape it up real well. Yes the shipping is more expensive but Havey's shop will mount and balance the tires on the newly refinished wheels and there isn't any anxiety about finding someone local to do the job the correctly. Most tire shops don't know how to correctly balance an older Fuchs wheel anyway. Those must be done in a lug centric machine, not a hub centric machine. Big difference sometimes.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:25 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theclaw
Anybody in the midwest? Looking to do mine but I would like to avoid R&R the tires and shipping hassles.

jeff
On Pelican a guy with the username of Souk has started offering this service (he and Chris Streit run Motodelta, a Porsche shop in Naperville). He posted an announcement on the regional board last month, I think. I haven't used him yet, though.

Emanuel
Old 12-31-2004, 02:23 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Brian, Would use the wrong kind of machine make the balance a lot worse?

Quick Reply: Refinishing Fuchs