Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Salted roads

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Again, Pete, good luck with your decision.

On the other had, to offset all the b*tching we do about winter up here in the north (man it's cold today here in Milwaukee - ughhh), there isn't much better than driving an air cooled 911 on a sunny 55 degree October day when the leaves turn. They run soooo good in the cool air.

Also, it's a treat when getting the cars extracted from the garage/storage facility on that first warm day in spring when the salt is gone. It's like getting a new car every year!

You'll be amazed at how well a 911 will start up in spring after sitting for months (if it's properly put away in fall)... It's like the car has been waiting for you and they start like they've been run just 5 minutes ago...

Regards,

Jay
90 964 - In storage!
Old 12-22-2004, 08:58 AM
GeorgeM
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 28 Posts

Concur with Jay.

I drove my '89 last winter when there was just residual salt on the roads, mostly dry but some damp from rain or the melt and I could not believe the corrsion on things like fasteners (i.e. tie rod bolts). The metal part of the brand new oil lines from an SSI conversion were covered with white crap. I had to sand them down and paint them black. What a PITA. Never again!!
Old 12-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks guys! We're going to MN tomorrow, I guess I'm in for a taste of what that place is like...

Happy Holidays to all!
Pete
Old 12-22-2004, 04:32 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

The nice thing is that there won't be any black flies this time of year!
Old 12-22-2004, 05:19 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Are they hibernating or dead?
Pete
Old 12-22-2004, 09:28 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

The adults are dead; the pupae or larvae or eggs or something are in a resting stage over the winter. They'll be out almost the instant it warms up.

Now, let's talk about snow and cold... My best bud from grad. school moved to MN and he's always been a huge back-country skier, mainly cross-country. He'd ski 5 days a week if he could. After a year or so up there, he completely stopped skiing -- it was too cold.

So, the visit is a good chance to decide which hell-hole you want to live in...
Old 12-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by randywebb
So, the visit is a good chance to decide which hell-hole you want to live in...
..but too, the spring, summer and fall is pretty nice in this part of the country...
Old 12-23-2004, 11:05 AM
JES1680
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

If all that advice wasn't enough, It's a balmy -9 degrees in Minneapolis right now with a double digit negitve wind chill. Even if I wanted to take out my 78 Targa right now on the salted, sanded and chemicaly littered roads, there's little chance that she would turn over with 20w50 in her tank. At these temps oil is thicker than honey.

If you do move, you will have to wait for the first really cold day -10 or -20 and go outside with a cup of hot water. Toss it in the air and it will freeze before it hits the ground. I love doing this for my visiting relatives from Texas, they think we're nuts.

You will know that it's cold enough to try this when you walk outside and all the mucus in your nose freezes instantly!

The only good thing is that the cold keeps some of the rifraff out.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:21 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I love California. But if I had to choose between Bakersfield and Minneapolis, I'd choose the latter.

That said, you'll be keeping the 911's in the garage from late November to April.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:16 PM
gerry100
Pro

I'm sitting here in the NY capital region relishing the steady rain that's coming down.

By tommorrow, the roads will be washed .the sun will be out and Mr Motromic will be drinking in the cold air.

I keep the '86 3.2 ready to go year round just in case. Wouldn't consider it as a daily driver in this climate though.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:34 PM
gdepree
Intermediate

It's nice to know you're interested in the Jetta/Passat lineup

I've been a two time Jetta owner, they handle suprisingly well, with my previous Jetta (current has non-all season tires) I only slid off the road once (pure ice conditions, the road dipped and I dipped with it at 5 mph :|, all in the name of going to school.) With their new traction control system I've survived one winter with Michelin Pilots on the car (had the car out in AZ, came with the car, not enough budget to purchase all seasons). Granted, there is a little more slipping and what not but overall it's a damn stable car.

But back to the topic at hand: While it might be a little bit of an adjustment coming from CA, the hibernating Porsche should do the trick. If you take the job/get offered the job, begin scoping out facilities for winter storage, heated, in the area so you'll be prepared when cold weather starts creeping up on you.

Just be glad you're not in Chicago. While MN has nasty cold weather...we have just plain unpredictable weather. Worst shift i've seen recently is 80 degrees one day and snowing the next.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:33 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned about 10 years of Golfs ("trunkless Jettas") and would recommend 'em as very good winter cars. Started first turn of the key in -30C temps, no block heater. My last one I had equipped with a cold weather package including heated seats, heated mirrors, and heated windscreen washer jets (!) and it was great. I did always put winter tires all around, and in any reasonable road conditions, it was stable and unstoppable. (Glare ice is something else, of course!) If my WRX is better, AWD or no, I'll be surprised (and pleased, obviously...)

I drive my 911 year round, avoiding salt. On nice winter days, once the roads are clear and dry, it's great to drive it. Longest it's sat here without driving due to weather is 2 1/2 weeks. My mechanic thinks they're better driven than sitting, and they're sure more fun!

Quick Reply: Salted roads