911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1975 911S Targa

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004 | 04:09 PM
gdepree
Intermediate

Thanks for the input Jack, and you really don't come off as a jackass. I understand that the price is higher, and I've understood it since going into the deal. I've done a lot of internet searches for cars before settling on this car. Many are listed in the 6-9k range, yet have torn seats, haven't had the clutch/tranny rebuilt or have but not the engine, and so forth. The location that i'm purchasing the car from has a nice turnover rate for the 70's era 911's priced at roughly 15k, and the guy does sometimes work on a consignment basis. All in all, i've been searching for roughly 6 months, came across a few cars, a lot of them located in California, that were nice cars with 80-100k+ miles on them and no engine rebuilds but tranny/clutch or been subject to the engine conversion to a larger engine. In regards to the PPI -- the owner priced the car with the shocks in mind. The overall adjustments made by the actual PPI to the original estimate of repair work addressed upon my first visual inspection are the near nothing. We're getting half the cost of labor, the parts are being transferred at cost, and the dealer is content with the amount they're making off the sale. The paint is not a necessary job, the patina is not horrid or threatening at this time, we opted to have the bodyshop do the work.

In short, i'm quite satisfied with the car, it's condition, and the price for the car. I understand some might consider it a bamboozle (or many of you), but i've more or less committed to the project.

I am however going to inquire heavily upon the year of the car as that is an unforseen roadblock that could alter the outlook on the car, especially due to the fact we can't look up car histories on these cars.

Have a happy holidays everyone!
Old 12-24-2004 | 04:28 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Well, the bottom line is you're going to end up with a Porsche 911 -- the winningest, and best, mass-produced sports car in history.

I'm currently reading Stephen Wilkinson's 'The Gold-Plated Porsche' which is about one man putting $70,000 and years of his life into the restoration of an (at best) $18,000 car. It's a great book; I'm with him every step of the way.

And I personally went through the unique experience of driving my (previous) 911 into a wall at Laguna Seca, and -- without the benefit of insurance or a family trust fund -- going out of pocket about $20,000 on top of the substantial amount I'd already put into the car. I'll never get that money back, but I'd do the exact same thing if it happened today.

It's not just about the money, with a 911. It's an awesome car and an awesome experience.
Old 12-24-2004 | 09:20 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

W/o knowing more I'd pass on that car. I used to have a '75S - I sold it for $18,000 BUT every nut and bolt had been polished and lots of other work was done also. It would be a very very rare 2.7L car that would be worth $10,000 or more. Maybe if it was mint and had won some concours. Maybe if it had Webers, SSIs, German leather, anc cloisonne hubs (mine had all that).

Jack gave you good advice. Can you wait a while and look around some more? Or do you have to have this one now?
Old 12-26-2004 | 02:48 PM
Revvin_911S
Instructor

If you are happy with the price and condition, and think that the issues it has can be resolved to your satisfaction for an agreeable sum, then buy it and enjoy. With the exception of a 356, there are very few Porsches that make good "investments" in that you can buy them, fix them up, and sell them for a profit, and I don’t think that should be anyone’s motive when buying any Porsche. They are the best sports cars out there, buy it, drive it, and savor every minute of it.

Jack, I just got that book as a Christmas gift, haven’t started reading it yet, but it looks very entertaining. The title alone cracked me up, couldn’t be more spot on.

Quick Reply: 1975 911S Targa