Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fogging meters

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:29 AM
afinepoint
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fogging meters

1984 Targa driver here. The meters fog in cooler/wetter weather. The meters fog worse as you go right to left. I guess closer to the door gets more humidity. Yes the top does drip in heavier rain and I have had water drip from under the dash on the left after sustained driving in steady rain.

I was thinking of pulling them and putting some sort of desicant inside then sealing the backs. The AC is OOC.

Ideas?

Reg
Old 12-01-2004, 12:29 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My has been doing that on occassion since I bought it in 83. The moisuture you see on the back side of the gauges' glass face is getting there via the bonnet/trunk area. Mine clears up as the cabin warms and seemingly has never caused any long term problems.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:32 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

The front trunk is ambient air and the gauges arenot sealed tight. lots of wires and light sockets. I doubt dessicant would last long unless you found a way to seal the backs of the instruments. Be a tough row to hoe, I think.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:29 PM
afinepoint
Racer

Originally Posted by DGaunt
lots of wires and light sockets.
Tell me about it. I just pulled the speedo/odometer for repair.

Thank for the replies. Nice to know it's a common problem.

Reg
Old 01-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

This just happened to me & now I know how.
The windshield gasket leaks a bit, thus after the monsoon season we just had here in los Angeles, there was some extra moisture inside the car. When the sun warmed up the interior, the water began to evaporate and get into all sorts of places it shouldn't be.
The rings on my gauges now have a thin film of surface rust along the tops. very strange.
I bought one of those buckets full of dessicant intended for home closets, etc and put it on the drivers' floor. i removed all of the loose carpet/mats and am allowing them to dry outside the car.
I hope this doesn't cause problems someday.
+++

Quick Reply: Fogging meters