Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking at an 88 911 targa ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Looking at an 88 911 targa ...

I am new to the forum and I am seeking some advice. This would be my first Porsche. I have read Zimmerman's book and now I have taken a first look at an 88 - 911 targa. 110K miles, very clean, a few cosmetic problems. Interior needs some work, the dash has several small cracks, the speedometer is slow to work the rest is just clean up. The body is straight and reasonably tight considering the miles. I have tried to do my homework before going to far. There is no evidence of a wreck. The PO's price is on the low end $16,500. I feel like it is almost to good to be true. Before I go forward with a PPI, I would like some advice on what would be a reasonable price for this car? What else should I look at? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:23 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have the money there is a pristine, ABSOLUTELY, 88 911 Targa special addition here in the Puget Sound area for about $30,000.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:20 AM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience if you up your budget to $18 to 20K you could buy a lot more car in that year range W/O excuses.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:44 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The G-50 trans in this car is generally worth around $2k to people who want one. over the earlier cars....(not to me).

Hard to judge what "a few cosmetic problems" might be... every body has a different standard... I would say that anything you see on the car that you can be happy to live with is minor... anything you plan to repair is not... for $16.5... you should only have to put $1.5-2K into the car for cosmetics to make it totally acceptable with no excuses to yourself... (who cares what other people think.... you are the one who has to live with it).

Particularly pay attention to the targa top and seals... these can be pricy to fix... a professional redo of the top is easily $600-900, and the seals can run into the hundreds to redo... if you really want the top-off feature, targa is a nice compromise, but if not....you may want to consider a coupe... they are sturdier and will not leak.

Also, always budget about $1.5-2K in the first 6 months or so for incidental mechanical work... even on a car with a pretty clean PPI...

IF you end up with a very appealing, mechanically ready G-50 car for under $20K... that is probably pretty good alothough not a steal... an absolutely pristine 88 is probably over a $20K car... as you can tell from wwest above.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:51 AM
bwell
Intermediate

I think that price is on the high side for a targa w/110K unless it is close to perfect.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

KIWI: IF you have competent professional help nearby that can rectify the car's problems in a technically correct manner, AND the PPI goes well, and you can complete all necessary repairs with a total expenditure under $20K, then you're OK. To buy the car WITHOUT a PPI or professional repair estimates (dash, top, seals, oil leaks, etc.) would not be smart. Does the car have service history? Have you called the tech who cares for the car? Is there a note on the latest receipt that indicates expensive trouble ahead? Have you confirmed (this is very difficult to do) oil consumption? Does the car have Boge or Bilstein shocks, and when were they replaced? Has the engine fuel supply line mentioned in my book been replaced? You have a lot of homework to do - get back to us with the answers!
Pete
Old 11-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

JCP911S you are right about judging cosmetic problems by what you will live with. This car would need the dash replaced. Any idea on cost?

Thanks for the advice ... I still have plenty homework to do. I'll get back to you with what I find.

What I do know ... "new" Targa top and seal, at least 2 owners w/ most records, last 4 years only 4k miles.

What I don't know ... type of shocks, fuel supply line, clutch
Old 11-29-2004, 05:52 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it a full leather or vinyl dash? What color is it. If it is a black vinyl dash, I believe they are around $500 bucks but you may have to remove the windshield.... check the FAQ sections. Leather would be significantly more... the leather dash has a seam along the top, and is possibly pulling away from the ac vent... ballpark, I'd budget $600-1000 if you can't get a better number.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:59 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

If the dash is cracked it's probably not leather. Dash replacement requires windshield removal, so you might take the opportunity to check the glass (is it white in the lower outboard corners?), seal and trim pieces. I never replace a leather dash with another leather one - always the beautiful, correct, cheaper replacement, which, with minimal care, will last close to forever. Figure something between $500 and $900 to get the job done.
Pete
Old 12-01-2004, 12:08 PM
A4
Instructor

This isn't a targa, but I found it locally searching on Autotrader from a used car dealer. Not a bad starting point for negotiations if it turns out ok since coupes usually comand higher $ than targas: sorry for the long link:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=56
Old 12-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions ... the 88 had a little more "baggage" than I thought so I decided to pass on it.

I have since found an 85 Targa w/ 80K miles. Always maintained by the same shop, they are selling it for the owner. Mechanicals look very good, the body has a few dings and scratches. It runs strong, no smoke, feels good and tight. They are asking $18K... after checking the forums and the magazines this seems a bit high for an overall "good" 911. What do you think? Is there anything peculiar to the '85' I should check? Any suggestions for a PPI in the Houston area?
Old 12-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

The '85 has smaller dash vents for fresh air & A/C, but overall can be a very satisfying car. Be well aware that you're giving up the G50 trans/hydraulic clutch for the 915 trans/cable-operated clutch. For me both are fine, only the car's shop determines how good the car will drive. My trusty companion, Sports Car Magazine, pegs that car between $17 & 19K, HOWEVER that price range is for cars that are "significantly above a daily driver and one step below regional concours." If "your" car has issues that take it out of that range the price must be adjusted. FYI: There are those on the forum that think SCM's prices are out there, but the magazine does their research and I know of sales that support that info. Have fun negotiating, don't buy it without a PPI AND valve cover removal to check those head studs!!!
Pete
Old 12-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Please don't think that I'm endorsing the price of "your" car - I'm not. I'm afraid that your "chips & dings" comment takes the car well below SCMs range, how far below is what you and the seller decide is a fair price. Believe it or not, having only one shop doing the work can be a real positive, but it can also be a real bad deal. Depends how good the shop is - under no circumstances should you use that shop for your PPI, unless they are really extraordinary folks. You must use the info that you have available to determine the size of the check you'll write. I've seen '85s that were literally perfect, to my eye, and some that looked great from 6 feet and didn't hold up well under close scrutiny. It's hard to believe that the car is just about TWENTY YEARS OLD. Does Porsche build great cars, or what? Don't get emotional, at this stage this is a business transaction, nothing more. Good luck!
Pete
Old 12-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Roc Doc
Intermediate

Not-for-nothing, but...

I did a 3.2 transplant, afull repaint, added Carerra rear flares, and did a later model interior swap on my '76 and when I was done, it looked like abrand new '85 Carerra. It has now been close to 15 years since I did that, and it's full of stone chips, has a crease in the drivers door from a parking lot, a star in the windshield from a rock trown up by a truck, etc. My point is that these are all minor things, and it still makes me smile when I drive it, and from across the parking garage it still looks like a million bux. And THAT is why these cars can still command such prices 20 or so years later, I mean really what else are you going to buy for $16.5k, a two year old Camry, whoo hoo?

So by all means get the most "perfect" 911 you can afford, but if it starts and stops and runs like a Porsche should, (mine ALWAYS has), then the little cosmetic stuff you can either address or live with. Make sure it's been maintained correctly, and get a good PPI.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Doc
Old 12-13-2004, 09:08 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

I have seen ASHIRJI's 88 Targa and it is a very very nice car. We were very close to a decision to buy it but I REALLY wanted a GUARDS RED car and did buy one. (hey wanna trade off the wheels?)
Hope you do find a Turbo
Daniel

Quick Reply: Looking at an 88 911 targa ...