Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Vinyl dye success stories - any out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004 | 07:15 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Question Vinyl dye success stories - any out there?

I'm wondering if a light colored dash can be successfully dyed black.
If so, what products and preparation are required to do a good job?
Is it a DIY thing, or is there perhaps a shop that someone has dealt with that they could recommend.
I'll ship the thing to get it done properly.
TIA
+++
Old 11-21-2004 | 08:12 PM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

Talking

There is a BIG difference between D-I-Y sprays and the commercial stuff. It can be done but the end result is a lot better if a pro does it.

They use a special chemical stripper and then steam is applied to loosen any remaining crap. Then a flexible epoxy is applied to cover any surface imperfections. The dye is mixed to the right hue and sprayed, then heat lamp or other heat source is used to cure it.
Old 11-21-2004 | 08:22 PM
jnj911
Intermediate

I just dyed a steering wheel and dashboard. It came out great. I am doing a 993 coversion on my 911T and bought a used burgandy steering wheel from a 993 w/o airbag for $25. I went ahead and bought all products cleaner, dye adhesive, dye and dye sealant. The dash was already black but went ahead with left over to make new again. It took a couple of days since i would add a coat and let dry and work on later, I ended up with 4 coats on wheel and one on dash. The wheel was covered by 2nd coat but added two more for hell of it since so small an area. You can never tell that it was not originally black. I got the stuff from http://www.leatherworldtech.com/cate...yid=4&openid=4 good luck!
Old 11-21-2004 | 10:13 PM
RockyMcD
5th Gear

Dye works well if it is a darker color and is used on a surface that is not subject to abrasion. Dash would be good, steering wheel would not last very long. Go to a professional jobber that sells to the shops. Get their advise.
Old 11-23-2004 | 11:09 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

www.leatherique.com sells leather dye. I've been impressed with their leather care products, but no experience with the dye. FWIW....
Old 11-24-2004 | 01:24 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Surflex - excellent stuff...
Old 11-24-2004 | 02:44 PM
sprocket3
Instructor

You can get pretty good results. I have an interior that was done by the prior owner about seven years ago. Only a deap scratch shows up on my car. It's black dye over brown interior/dash.

Pretty good results, but no idea about the method to get them.
Old 11-25-2004 | 01:01 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

SEM products are reputed to give good results though with much attention to detail and preparation. And they are expensive. Find the regional rep and he/she can point you to the marketer who matches your interior color and the rest is just hard work...but should produce acceptable results.

Quick Reply: Vinyl dye success stories - any out there?