Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

new CD swap for old Blaupunkt

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Gino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy new CD swap for old Blaupunkt

OK, so I've taken out the old '86 Blaupunkt cassette and I'm about to install the new Panasonic CD/receiver, but... what's the deal here?
4 speakers should have 8 wires to the 'box' but instead and only 4 leads to the CD/receiver! I assume the other four are grounded. right?
If so, how do I know which 4 of the 8 new wires from the cd/receiver are the live ones? the 4 with the stripes? the 4 solid color ones? or, do I have to run 4 new wires back to the speakers?
Sounds silly, but I'm still waiting for a reply from Panasonic...
Old 04-08-2003, 12:38 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brown is the traditional color for ground.. so does any of the wires have brown with a color stripe? and to find which hot wire goes to which speaker use a small 1 1/2 volt flashlite battery to trigger the speaker.. not a pro here.
and if you ask another question on this I don't know what I'm sopposed to do to get notified that someone added another "reply".....Ron
Old 04-08-2003, 02:05 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gino, I hope I'm understanding your question correctly, but here goes. Concerning your head unit/CD:In general the solid color is the pos. The grounds will generally all be black with a color stripe corresponding to the hot wire it is associated with. Now if your new receiver is Hi-power which many are these days, these cannot be used with commonly grounded/chassis grounded speakers. I would recommend running new larger gauge wire. I looked in my 911 bentley and didn't see any systems that were commonly grounded, I'm surprised yours is. Mike
Old 04-09-2003, 03:22 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It almost sounds as though the PO (or previous installer) grounded each speaker to the chassis. Have you pulled any of the speakers to see where the ground wires terminate? As to the wires coming from the new CD player, do you have the manual? Does the player have a sticker on it that details the wiring specs? If you're a member of the Pelican board, send Bell an e-mail. He's in the car audio business, and very knowledgeable.

If you don't have the manual, you might try clicking here: <a href="http://www.panasonic.com/support/index.html." target="_blank">http://www.panasonic.com/support/index.html.</a> You'll see a link on the left side to operating manuals. From there, you can link to car audio. They list several different models. Even if your specific model is not there, my guess is that the wiring is the same for all model CD receivers. Good luck!

Quick Reply: new CD swap for old Blaupunkt