Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Using heater for first time in 911t/ engine loudness

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 08:15 PM
jnj911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using heater for first time in 911t/ engine loudness

I just used the heater for the first time in my 71 911t, and it smelled a little exhausty. It went away and the heat worked extremely well. I am just not aware of how the heat exchanger thing really works and i am worried that exhaust gases might be coming in. Is that possible? Also i just replaced the muffler with oem and had carbs rebuilt. The car was really loud when purchased due to hole in muffler and backfire from carbs. All that is taken care of, but the engine is do dang loud from interior of car and of course on outside. Is there anyway to lower noise and is that yr/model supposed to sound like an old VW bug?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heat exchangers on these cars always let some "engine smell" in the cabin, especially when first used. I wouldn't worry as long as it (mostly) goes away. However, you sure don't want to pump exhaust gas into the cabin, so I would check the heat exchangers. As far as the noise goes, I loved the sound of my 71 with a sport muffler and dual K&N's over the carbs. I don't know what type air filter you have, but the stock metal air filter housing will do a lot to quiet the cabin when compared to the K&N "open" air filters.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Revvin_911S
Instructor

All 911's will give you a little engine smell with the heater on, but after a few min it shouldnt be too bad. I think this is the first time Ive ever heard anyone say that their 911 is too loud. The sound of a 911 is one of the best parts, and usually people are looking for ways to make them louder. Since your car has carbs it will be louder then a fuel injected car, but is it really bothering you? Wind it up and enjoy the music!
Old 11-13-2004, 03:33 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are you smelling burned gas, or burned oil? The latter is almost inevitable, the former is worrysome.

What condition is the sound deadening on the firewall, forward of the engine? The foam perishes and flakes off, leaving mostly a steel wall to transmit sound. A new one would reduce the sound in the cabin a lot.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:37 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

To reduce the noise, replace the sound pad and add addl. padding on the inside of the firewall. Search Pelican for some recent posts on what to use.

Maybe the engine is not right? Are you certain the valves are correctly adjusted?

Also, describe the noise - is it exhaust? valves? fan whir?

Finally, are you sure you like the way an old 911 is supposed to sound? Drive some others and compare. If the anser is you don't like this then you will want to buy a newer one - they are much quieter.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:57 PM
SandyI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jnj911
Is there anyway to lower noise and is that yr/model supposed to sound like an old VW bug?
Those are the saddest words I've ever read. The bad news for you is that it will always be that loud. It's designed to be that loud. We early 911 drivers LOVE that flat-six ringing in our ears. I mean, all of us except you.

Consider purchasing a car built after 1973 immediately. You'll be happier. And you'll make a buyer looking for "that old VW bug" sound very happy.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Randy & others have it right on the money. Describe "loud", do you have a collapsed timing chain tensioner? Are your valves far out of adjustment? Do you have K&N filters? Do your heat exchanger pipes have holes in them? Normally an early 911 engine is a thing of beauty, more like a Swiss watch than a cement mixer (VW)!
Old 11-15-2004, 12:11 PM
justkickenit
Instructor

I find that I'd rather listen to the engine as I'm flying down the road than the new stereo system I installed when I first purchased the car a year ago.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:30 PM
jnj911
Intermediate

It does have k&N filters installed with original covers inplace, I was told buy previous owner that the valves had just been adjusted. I will have to look for holes in heat exchangers. I dont know how to check for collapes timing chain, can some one tell me how. To me it sounds more like a carb- exhaust sound. I thought that replaceing the rusted Ansa for and OE from Dansk would reduce the sound. The sound pad is inplace. I have never heard a car of this year, and i dont know anyone that does. I just dont want to mistaken for vw by way of engine sound at stop light.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:57 PM
RockyMcD
5th Gear

The 1971 911T does not sound much different than other 911's. You said the sound was like carb or exhaust noise. Sometimes exhaust noise is much louder under acceleration. Put the car on a lift or jackstands and get under the engine while someone revs it up. Listen closley for exhaust leaking. Could be from broken or cracked headers, cracked welds, or just gasket leaks. Odor from heater use is quite common. Usually it comes from oil dripping on the heat exchangers. It is very hard if not impossible to remove. There is the possibility that the leaking exhaust is inside the chamber and you cannot see it. It would produce a louder noise with the heater open. If you feel sick, get a headache etc. that is a good indication that exhaust gas from a cracked header inside the chamber. This could be very dangerous and you must stop using the heater and repair or replace the heater boxes. You also asked about chain tensioner noise. This is a very loud chain scrapping sound. It is usually louder at idle than at higher RPM's . If you think you have chain noise, get a stethascpoe or a long screwdriver and press it against your ear as you hold it on the engine case to the right and to the left of the fan belt. Thre are two chains, one on the left and one on the right. You will know it when you hear it. It is quite obvious and can damage your engine. Stop running the engine immediately until it is repaird.

Quick Reply: Using heater for first time in 911t/ engine loudness