Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sport muffler for 87 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 08:49 PM
gbailey911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Sport muffler for 87 3.2

I am interested in changing the exhaust on my 87 Carrera. It currently has a test pipe and the stock exhaust. I would like the car to growl a little more but still be streetable. I was wondering what some of you are using and your experiences with changing the exhausts as well as their fit. I am considering sport mufflers from Dansk and Fapspeed to name a few.

Thanks in advance,

George
Old 11-10-2004, 09:56 PM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

If you are on a tight budget or want to keep your stock head pipes, I think Fabspeed has the best answer. Buy their 'pre-muffler' that takes the place of the stock Cat and the little turn-out pipe that eliminates the rest of the OE muffler and hangers. Price? about $300. for both pieces.

If that ends up being too loud you could always buy their performance mufller that bolts on where the turn-out goes
Old 11-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi George:

IMHO, you cannot do any better than a Monty Muffler.

Not the cheapest, but you always get what you pay for,...
Old 11-11-2004, 07:09 PM
gbailey911
Instructor

Talking

theasphaltgambler and Steve, thanks for responding. I already have the catalylic test pipe in place and am afraid with just the turn-down pipe the car will be way too loud for the street. Can anyone comment on how much quieter the fabspeed pre-muffler is compared to the cat. test pipe. Also, can anyone comment on how their cars sound with the Monty, Fabspeed, Dansk, Billy Bob, or any other sport type muffler connected to the stock exhaust manifolds?

As always, Thanks in Advance!
Old 11-11-2004, 07:33 PM
WJV
Advanced

i had been running a factory european pre-muffler with a monty stainless steel 3" single outlet muffler and i found the sound to be really nice. there was absolutely no resonance and i never found the setup too loud at all. i would highly recommend the monty muffler. the catalytic converter recently made its way back on the car (emissions test) and it's amazing what an effect that had on the sound. it's as if i'm driving around with ear plugs in.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:02 PM
petebrown
8th Gear

Default Gut the stock one

The absolute best bang for the buck is to gut your exhisting muffler. I have a cat bypass pipe and gutted my muffler leaving only 4" of piping for the inlet and outlet portions inside the muffler. I removed the middle packing and baffles and left the baffles and support on the passenger side alone. I had a pelicanite friend weld it up and it sounds great! At idle is crowls, below 3,000 rpm it rumbles and I cannot even hear it on the highway. Above 4,500 rpm it just roars. Cost $0.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:15 AM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to change the exhaust, go ahead and get SSI's and a twin inlet/twin outlet sport muffler. You have to get creative to get heat on the passenger side, but the increase in performance without those restrictive stock heat exchangers is amazing.

Quick Reply: Sport muffler for 87 3.2