Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Problems Related to Bad Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 05:01 PM
H.B.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Problems Related to Bad Alternator?

Hi all,

Could a bad alternator be responsible for brake lights failing to come on under normal pedal pressure with the headlights on (they come on when the brake pedal is pressed hard)? Could it also cause the cigarette lighter to suddenly stop working? Also, does anyone know where I can have my alternator rebuilt at a good price?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2001, 05:40 PM
Paul H
Advanced

Seems highly unlikely to me that the alternator is the source of your problems. Use a voltmeter to check your battery voltage, you should get 12 volts with the engine not running, 13.5 volts with the engine running. If you don't get 13 volts your alternator is not charging the battery, if your battery can't hold 12 volts with some accessories on, then the battery is probably toast.
Old 07-20-2001, 07:39 PM
TSN
6th Gear

Brake light switch needs to be adjusted. The sacrilege, do you actually smoke in your car? While driving? (I do both) Cigarette lighter element might need to be replaced; its a cheap part of about $15 and it worked for me. Rebuilt alternator cost depends on your model, but say $300 plus for a new part, $150-200 for exchange, probably less than $100 if you take it to a shop for some new bearings, brushes, etc. It is extremely unlikely that there is any causal relationship between your alternator and the cig. lighter and brake lights. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Problems Related to Bad Alternator?