Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1982SC missing

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 12:21 AM
StanV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1982SC missing

Just took my SC out for its last run of the year, and after 30 minutes of flawless running (normal operating temp, outside temp around freezing, 71% humidity) it started to run roughly on accelerating, with marked loss of power, some increased vibration, and an engine note that reminded me of my old 1968 VW Bug. I was near home and managed to get there. Earlier this summer I had a similar symptom after my valve adjustment when a new helper at my mechanic's "detailed" my engine with a hose; drying the cap and rotor fixed that
The car had been sitting due to cold wet weather for about 2 weeks prior, but fired up as usual. The only "new" thing was that I had just filled the tank and had added a bottle of Stabil to it.
When I got home, I quickly did a visual inspection: cap and rotor (new in 2002, as was fuel filter) looked new and were dry. Looked in my Bentley manual and figured that since it was dark I could at least look for arcing. When idling in the driveway, there are 2 very fine, "wispy" blue arcs. One is between the wire from the coil to distributor and a nearby length of shielding from a plug wire, the other is between the unshielded length (near the distributor) of #5 wire and the shielding of # 6. I searched the forums and read about "fireworks displays", etc. but wasn't sure if my very unimpressive display counted as significant arcing.
Is this important? Could this explain going from normal operation to major misfiring over 1/2 hour, as the engine warmed?
I am quite inexperienced working on cars (do my own fluids/filters, removed my AC components, installed a factory shortshift kit, and spent an eternity replacing a window regulator), but figured that since the wires are original to the car I should replace them and the coil wire (likely Magnecors based on my search); I'll install them over the winter and see how things are next spring. Again, forgive a dumb question but is there anything that MUST be attended to prior to storage that, if left, could cause major trouble?
Thanks for any advice. I'd be more lost than I am without this board
Old 11-03-2004, 08:05 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stan you shouldn't be getting any arcing from, plug, coil or dizzy wires at all. They don't owe you anything after all this time, treat the car to some new OEM wires or some Magnecor 8.5mm.

Quick Reply: 1982SC missing