911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

WTB-1970-73 911 Coupe- EastCoast

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004 | 03:16 PM
L8 Apex
Advanced

JCP - Yeah, I sold the '72 S. That wasn't my intention when I bought it, but money talks. Couldn't turn down making several grand for taking a vacation, buying a lovely car, and driving it for a couple of weeks. I wish my real job was that easy. The new owner is a collector and said he plans to spend about $25k on a full resto, so he will preserve the car better than I would have and that car deserves it, IMO.

Then I turned around and bought the blue '70 with the 2.7L.
Old 11-04-2004 | 04:21 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCP911S
...or his wife is busting on him because the garage has been tied up for twe years.... ...
Wow, that sounds so much like my conversations with the wife about the 951

It is a mix feeling... I always love the lines of the early cars... but I have never driven one. I hope I am not dissapointed with the first test drive…

Your suggestion of just getting a nice car and just driving it is a good one since the plan to take it to an RS/RSR will be a long-term thing (really long term...).

The only initial changes I want (if those are not there) is the additional driving lights and the period correct sport seats (even if these are replicas), I want carburetors (only because they look so cool and add to the sweet sound), and Fuchs. All else can wait.
Old 11-04-2004 | 04:42 PM
L8 Apex
Advanced

I love the early 911s. They drive splendidly, but you will have to sacrifice some of the comforts of your 951. I just try to remember that, hey, that's how life was back then. No power windows, no power steering, no AC, but that's also what I love about the early cars! They're pure.

You can probably find a car that has been started as an RS conversion. That's what my blue '70 is. Someone started to modify it to RS specs, but never got to the body work, flares, etc. It has a 2.7 liter MFI engine and a Carrera front suspension with a Carrera gas tank, so I'm pretty sure that was the previous owner's intentions. There are lots of RS projects out there. You might get lucky and find a driveable project, similar to mine.

I want some of the Nurburgring seats from GTS Classics, I think those are sharp. I'm not sure I'll do the Cibies though.

Quick Reply: WTB-1970-73 911 Coupe- EastCoast