84 3.2 price info requested

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 03:44 PM
tyler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 3.2 price info requested

Hello,

I am looking at a black/black 3.2 has factory tail...car has been repainted in various areas...i would say comsmetically a 6.5/10...car has 106k miles, although speedo has been repaired by palo alto..which is a consideration

However, car has 17" turbo wheels, B&B exhaust and engine has been rebuilt due to broken dilvar headstud...engine was rebuilt using reaceware and had the oil cooler switched out to a mocal. SP???

anyway guy wants 17k, I am thinking 15-16k. Any thoughts? I am asking this because I can't find my excellence with the bruce anderson market update...the nada collector book has a range from 13,800 - 22,400

thanks for any help...car will get a PPI...I "volunteer" at the shop that redid the motor which is why I know some of the service...we just aren't a good judge of pricing the market for a non stock car, but I am more concerned about engine than looks, I am looking for a daily driver/DE and I don't own a garage

Thanks again

Tyler
Old 10-28-2004, 11:11 AM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

Talking

You didn't mention if you have done a Carfax title check. That would be the first thing. What options does it have? Have you driven it? The gearbox syncros seem to be fragile on these cars and if it shifts hard / grinds at all up or down you are looking @$1000 to 1400 for the rebuild not including r&r. The Va/DC area is strong $$ for these cars so look carefully.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does the seller have the receipts for all the engine and paint work. Even so, that is still too much for and average '84.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:02 PM
tyler
Advanced

no, haven't done the carfax. it has sunroof, don't know about LSD...other than that, not many significant options like all leather, or anything

seller - don't know about receipts-- I know the guy who rebuilt the engine so i trust that part...don't know squat about the paint though

I am going to keep the car outside in an urban spot so not really worried about paint, I am just looking from a standpoint of the exhuast and wheels all of which I would do anyway...so that is money I going to spend out of the bat

drove car today, loud as a bi*ch, shifts as good as any 915 tranny I have driven, I have owned, '72,'82,'91,'96 so i can't really compare it with the g50, but I am looking for a daily drive so I can't buy a garage queen 993C2S that I really want

what do you guys think is a good price for an average '84, anyone know what bruce anderson says?

thanks again for the replies
-oh car is in richmond, not DC area
Old 10-29-2004, 02:07 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Although my experience purchasing a stock 84 in Los Angeles has few similarities, I can suggest the following:
1- Do the Carfax thing. DEFINITELY worth the $$.
2- Do the PPI and get a list of any "issues" and associated costs.
3- Subtract 50-75% of that dollar amount from your budget and offer what remains IF the car is to your liking in EVERY other aspect.
4- If what remains is way short of the mark, you eaither need to find a car in need of fewer repairs, or you need a bigger budget/cheaper car.

I hope this helps. BTW, I paid less than $12K for mine w/ 99K miles, all stock about 5 months ago.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:20 PM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

Talking

If your budget is @$16K you should look at spending slightly more and get a much better car. In this region cars in the $18K are a lot better.

Quick Reply: 84 3.2 price info requested