Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Who has the best pricing on OEM engine parts??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 10:22 AM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who has the best pricing on OEM engine parts??

I need to go through my '85 3.2 - cam chain/tensioner broke ( I believe) Since I work in the business my shop has an account with Worldpac. I do find that my cost on Porsche (OEM?) parts are usually the same or higher than the dealer.

There seems to be a few online parts sources that have what looks like the EXCACT same format and parts as Woldpac but at substantially cheaper prices. One in particular is Krynock.com - They always have the best prices. But my concern is this OEM stuff ?? Or at least considered good replacement parts??

I'll go through the entire engine plus adding aftermarket pistons (stock comp) so I can do real street performance cams. (valve clearance I understand) Other than that all the rest will be stock. Who's pistons? Who's cams? I see a guy on Ebay selling performance cams, springs, retainers, etc that has very good feedback

Any and all advice from experienced Porsche engine guys please.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:20 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

where are you? SSF is in the bay area and I've delt with them for a few years, and also Pelican parts too, you can get mostly factory parts, some very high quality repos for LESS than our cost at the dealer for the same part. Its easy, just call them and fax over your buisness tax ID and they can set you up.
SSF 650.837.9750
Pelican

as far as engine mods, once again depends on smog and where you live,
964 cams are about the limit on a Motronic car, as far as where to get them, there is web cam, elgin, and one other, I forget who, but there are rumors around that certain companies dont do a good job regrinding them, Just make sure they are Parkerized (black finish) and not shinny, and have the hardness tested at a really good performance machine shop.

P&C's you have a few options, have the ones in your car zyglowed for cracks, and thouroughly checked and measured and re ring them which can be perfectly fine, to buying a big bore 3.4 kit. depends on the cash you want to spend, you can also go twin plug if you want while the heads are off as its only $500 for the machining, even if you just stick a set of plugs in them untill you finish the rest of the set-up, the hard part is done, you can also have the heads cut for a groove for the metal ring sealing washers at this time too which ensures the barrel gets a good seal against the head. For hotrod stuff talk to Steve W. from Rennsport Systems.

Just remember on a motronic car with mods like these you'll need to get the car dyno'ed to get a log of the A/F ratios to have a custom chip made.

Last edited by fixnprsh; 10-27-2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:02 PM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

Talking

I live/ work in the Northern Va. area (close to Wash DC) The area that the car is registered does not have any emissions check, and I have my state license so that's not a problem.

I've found that Krynock is at least 10-15% off of Pelicans' prices consistantly. I do plan to convert to mass air and want to use the most optimum street grind cams available so further advice is needed there. The big bore kits are too pricey for me, unless I stumble on to a fire sale somewhere!

Performance pistons seem to be only from JE. Any other manufacturers that you use? Where to buy?

Thanks!!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 04:18 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's hard to beat EBS for prices and support. They know thier 911 stuff. They have alwyas beat Pelecan by a fairly wide margin. 1-800-462-3774. Sparks, Nevada. Ask for Jon, and tell him Dave from the Great Whit North sent you.

Pistons? JE for sure. So pretty you are reluctant to install them.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:53 PM
Drew Theodore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vertexauto.com has pretty good prices. If you make a fairly large order, you can get an additional 10% off if you call and talk to them.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:37 PM
mjmoran
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I second EBS. Great guys, quick service and Porsche parts
Old 10-27-2004, 10:54 PM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I'll research some more! As far as cam grinds I see the most popular upgrade is the 964 profile but I understand that this cam grind is still very conservative for all around street use. If I plan on replacing the pistons with an aftermarket set that has enough valve clearance what grind is best??

Thanks Again!!

Quick Reply: Who has the best pricing on OEM engine parts??