Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bilstein Insert/Bogi Strut - Koni custom valving ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:31 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Bilstein Insert/Bogi Strut - Koni custom valving ?

I have an 87 911 and want to update the suspsension to the following

23 & 31 mm Sander torsion bars
27 mm Smart Racing sway bars
Bilstein custom valved shocks.

Needless to say, this update is not cheap.

Presently, I have Koni shocks and Boge inserts. Koni will custom valve its shocks, but I don't have the numbers for that and don't know where to get them.

If I change to a Bilstein, I understand that Bilstein will make an insert for a Boge strut, but that the shock will not work on a race setup because there is not enough suspension travel for the shock. Has anyone tried this. Or does anyone have any thoughts on this. My goal is to not have to pay for new Bilstein front struts and new shocks. But so far this looks like my only option

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

Sounds like a nice setup for track usage,.... Don't overlook bushings as they play a VERY big role in how the car behaves near & at the limit.

There are many reasons to replace your Koni's with Bilsteins. Your observation about the lack of travel with an insert into your existing struts is very true and that only one of benefits of using Bilstein suspension.

Given what you are doing with the car. I'd suggest that you use custom valved RSR struts & shocks.

These struts have raised & reinforced spindles 19mm higher than stock to restore lost suspension travel after lowering and bring the front roll center back up above ground level to prevent the car from "tipping over" in a corner. This helps keep that inside front tire on the ground where it does you some good,....

Revalved RSR rear shocks are almost 2" shorter than HD or Sport ones and again you get full suspension travel and damping that matches your torsion bar rates.

This stuff is, needless to say not inexpensive, however this is no place to cut corners and something that should be done correctly, the first time. Please let me know if I can help you with anything here.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Insert/Bogi Strut - Koni custom valving ?