Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sticky Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 05:11 PM
mschafer71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The area to clean and grease (very carefully) are the points on the "top and bottom" of the brake pad where it contacts the caliper. As the piston pushes the pad towards the rotor it slides on this "lip guide" in the caliper. These contact points gets dirty/ corroded and is a good place to start with for the problem solving of the dragging brake pad. There are many other reasons why the pad may not return to its proper position after it is pushed by the piston, cleaning and ensuring the pad's path of travel is proper may help the pad to do what to is supposed to. Hopefully this quick clean and lube will do the trick, if not brake line replacement and caliper work may be neeed.

Last edited by mschafer71; 11-02-2004 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:01 AM
pgrunwald
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbcsaver
Ditto on do NOT place your fingers anywhere near the caliper insides when those pistons pop out!!
The most difficult part about the rebuilds is putting the metal banded outter rubber boot on. I have written a thread on this previously. Attached is a pic of the pvc piece about (about 5/8" high) that I made and it makes the install much easier. As I recall, I cut it from an elbow or similar piece (not expensive) and then I had to sand away some of the outtter thickness to fit.
Secondly, I disagree about the 20 degrees on the piston. Not hard to do and easiy to make a template. All you need is a 50 cent plastic protractor and some heavy paper board to get started. Also see pics.
regards,
Steve
What are the measurements on the template or is there a pattern somewhere?

Thanks,
Paul

----------------
'87 Targa
Old 07-17-2005, 12:49 AM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't have a pattern. I made it to fit when I had the caliper off using a protractor.
It wasn't hard to do. Getting the ring lined rubber boots on the caliper was the bear. Thus the other pvc tool.
regards,
Steve
Old 07-17-2005, 11:01 PM
DanS911
Pro

The piston setting is 20 degrees. There is a photo of the factory bulletin in the 101 Projects book.
After you stare at it a few minutes it will make sense
Old 07-17-2005, 11:06 PM
DanS911
Pro

Good info here plus aphoto of the piston tool

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...er_rebuild.htm

Quick Reply: Sticky Caliper