Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3rd Brake Light Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Gino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Brake Light Mod

Has anyone ever attempted, or done this modification on their period 911? A wrench told me that the window under the brake light assembly is etched to improve the red light scatter, and removal of the 'box' will not result in an improved view out the back.

Has anyone ever removed the assembly to change the bulb, or alike? Is the glass etched?

That still may not stop me as when paint matched and installed, it looks much cleaner and modern than the rear window model. Besides, now I won't hit my head on that box thingee when cleaning the rear seats, deck and window.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:01 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't know and answer to the etching, but I like the look too and have toyed with adding it to my 84 Carrera.
regards,
Steve
Old 10-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the 3rd brakelight because I found it really blocked the view. After you take the light off, as if you were just changing a bulb, there is still a black plastic frame which is adhered to the window with foam tape. That part can be pried off with a flat blade (a little heat helps). But then there is still a thin black area which has been applied directly to the glass, I guess to block the view of the foam tape from the outside. I can't figure out what this stuff is - seems to be an epoxy or something. I've tried every kind of solvent I can get my hands on and nothing touches it. I believe it could be scraped off, but access is very difficult and it's printed directly on top of the defroster wires. I've given up. The view is much improved but it's still annoying. To answer your original question, no, the glass is not etched in that area.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Gino
Racer

Dave-
is it posible to remove the black 'epoxy' in between the defrost lines with a razor blade scapper tool? or, an Exacto knife to improve/ remove this black frame image?
Old 10-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably, but it's very hard to reach and the defroster wires are right underneath. I think you'd want to protect the wires by masking with a piece of metal, then try scraping the black stuff off with a razor blade scraper. But the space between the wires is less than the width of a razor blade, so....

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Light Mod