89 Cab. rear window question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 05:52 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 89 Cab. rear window question

I recently had my entire roof & rear window replaced. The problem is that the rear window isn't tight like an original from the factory. I believe that they use hot air at the factory to shrink the window to get the wrinkles out. Can anyone confirm this or advise on any experience you may have. I have a high test hair dryer as well as a shrink wrap air gun. I don't want to try it unless others have had success in the past. I'd die if I melted my window.

Thanks,

C
Old 10-25-2004, 01:51 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that it is actually used to "shrink" the plastic. I know when I replaced my top, before I installed the rear window half, I let is sit in a closet with a small heater to let itexpand as much as it would before I installed it to the car. Once it cools off it will "shrink" back down and will be about as tight as you can get it. You have to work pretty fast, and have everything already lined up and ready to get mounted, as it will cool off quickly. Once it is on, there are adjustments you can make to get it a little tighter, the side has adjustable jamb nuts on the mount where it mounts to the body and the entire rear half can be adjusted rearward using these along with the 3 mounting bolts around the rear hoop.

Quick Reply: 89 Cab. rear window question