Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911sc rust!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 03:23 PM
gstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911sc rust!?

Hi everyone, My name is ben and i am a beginning mechanic and own a 944S, I love this car and talked my dad into purchasing a 911.
I would love to look at the car with my own two eyes, but he is in minnesota and i am in georgia,

So i REALLY need your guys assistance!!

One thing is of major concern to myself, the rust spot in the door-well, is this from a repair, i heard 911sc's were all galvanized

your help is greatly appreciated
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2004, 04:21 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Galvanized steel is still not rust proof and I'm afraid that that looks like rust in the picture. One rust spot usually is the tip of the ice berg. Your dad need to take it to a body shop experienced in Porsche's to see the extent of the rust damage and if it is worth repairing.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:51 PM
AHEDAU
Instructor

Location: London Ontario-My Fleet:86Cab/95Coupe/ 01 Outback H6 VDC/ 01 PathfinderSE/65Beetle(Survivor)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the picture, it looks like there may be body filler around that rust area implying it is more extensive than what is evident. If it wasn't fixed correctly previously, and its coming back now, in potential multiple structural locations, it could be big trouble. Have it looked over carefully.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:08 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

You better look carefully all around the edge of the windshield for bubbling. Also look in the dimples at the windshield wipers. Those are hot spots for rust on older cars. It's cheap to fix if you catch it early.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

My saying when it comes to rust is: "If there is rust in one spot, then there is more rust in other spots." I would also have this car checked out and see whether this car is something you want to put money into or if you should cut your loses and walk away. Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 10-24-2004, 11:23 PM
gstein
Instructor

thanks everyone,

i will be sure he either takes it to a good body shop to have it looked into, or have the porsche dealer take a real good look at the body regarding rust

Ben Goldstein
Old 10-25-2004, 11:27 AM
NO-H2O
Instructor

I have the same rust on mine.. I think it is due to the SC having pockets where dirt and what have you will collect and the moisture will rotthe car.. I am sure it's not that bad.... I have seen far worse repaired. The car is fine... Drive it and enjoy it.
you may also want to check up on the front bumper shocks that sit next to the tub thereis an area where LOTS of dirt and all will collect and case the same thing to happen on the side of the tun where the front bumper shocks are..

Enjoy it the SC is a wonder car to own.. I have 258K on the clock and no rebuild..she still runs like a top.. they Just don't make them llike that anymore..
Eric

Eric
Old 10-25-2004, 06:18 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you decide to repair it and the rust is not through the panel, then after wire brush grinding, start with a product called Por15. It is a paint that bonds permanently to and seals the rust.
regards,
Steve

Quick Reply: 911sc rust!?