Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pending purchase, 1st time owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 01:48 PM
90-C4-Cabrio
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pending purchase, 1st time owner

Hi folks, am looking for some heads-up tips & advice on a pending purchase.

I'm looking at a triple-black '90 C4 Cabrio that I'm very interested in. 75k miles, service history included, no leaks, no rust. Dealer has current title, which "has a mistaken odometer reading" at 175k miles, as well as previous title, at 70k miles. I took the car out for a test drive, no rattles, squeaks, or wind noise. Headliner is torn inside, missing driver's door lock pin (rotary **** works). Aftermarket Pioneer CD deck. Half worn Dunlop SP8000s. The car tracks true, handles well, and looks like a million bucks.

Sell price is $18,500. I've told them it's pretty much a done deal if they can get the title issue squared away. Any thoughts before I jump into this deal? Thanks for any info, insight, and heads-ups on what I'm in for.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:44 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't done it already, check out the 964 FAQ at http://members.rennlist.com/jfk964/porsche_964_faq.htm

The 964's are pretty complex pieces of equipment, and the early ones like the '90 you are looking at had some teething problems. HAVE AN INDEPENDENT PPI PERFORMED to ensure that the PO's had specific work done to reduce the potential problems you may have, such as replacing the dual mass flywheel, ensuring that the distributor vent was installed early, or that the drive belt has recently been replaced, have there been/are there any continuing issues with cylinder head oil leaks, etc.

Will all make more sense once you read the FAQ, if you haven't already.

Price seems good if you want a cabrio. Most early 964's I have seen are above $19k. Of course this is the time of year when cabrio prices decrease. We purchased our Coupe about 1.5 years ago with 103k on the ticker for just under $17.5k, and have really had zero issues with it (other than having to replace the "toothed belt indicator" switch, which cost ~$50 and I could do myself).

Good luck,
Tom

Quick Reply: Pending purchase, 1st time owner