Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pop Off installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 03:18 PM
gregg911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Pop Off installation

Any do it yourselfers install a pop off valve in the airbox? I picked one up over the weekend and understand that it's easy to do. Can you really install it without tearing apart the car? What about the misc chips etc that fall into the space below the box, I hear that you don't have to worry about getting them all.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:55 PM
David0514
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Greg, it is very easy. The only must have to do while the airbox is in the car is a right angle drill. You may have one but if you don't, you may know an electrician or plumber that might. A regular drill won't fit. You can also but a right angle adapter for your drill that may work. I just did it this past weekend, but then again, my engine is on my garage floor (Tranny work). I bought my valve about a year and a half ago just to find out I didn't have the right tool. Fortunately nothing happened. It's very easy. Also, with the 2" drill, try to get one that you can adjust the length of the drill bit that the hole saw is attached to. If to short, it is a pain getting started cutting on the fins. Too long and you can drill a hole in the metal that is underneight where your hole saw is cutting (roughly 2 - 3 inches below plastic). Mine was not adjustable so I got the hole saw using the drill guide to start cutting into the fins. After a cut was started in the fins, I took the drill off and just used the hole saw. Regarding chips, just remember to vacume as much as you can.
Well, hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:30 PM
mada
Advanced

I didn't drill my hole, it was there already... just had to re-epoxy the thing in there due to a lack of good bonding. However, you can have an assistant hold a shop vac right near the hole saw to suck up whatever is cut from the box. I also read that a few chips can get in the box, but I perferred to keep it as clean as possible. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:00 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Once saw a blown up airbox that had a pop-off valve.......installed through the lip of the airbox, NOT into the intake plenum.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:08 AM
Bill 106
AutoX

remember to install pop off in right direction, or it will hit the cover and not pop up.

Quick Reply: Pop Off installation