Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cold Start Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 02:29 PM
wrandyh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Start Problems

Yesterday and then again this morning my '88 3.2 was hard to start. When it started it was hard to keep running (had to feather the gas). Once I drove it off it stumbled like a gas starved car under acceleration - - - for the first five miles. Once the temp came up the engine smoothed out again and accel was back to normal. I just bought this car on Labor Day and the previous owner indicated that it was "cold natured".
I searched and found suggestions that it is probably the head temp sensor at fault. My concern is that I've also read that the head temp sensor is usually at fault when there's a hot engine restart problem.
Is there a check to see if the head temp sensor has failed? Any suggestions as to what else to look for?

Thanks,
Randy
'88 911 Targa
64,000 miles
Old 10-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Gino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold start sensor

Randy-
I bought my 930 in Nov here in New England. it was fine all winter last year; turn the key (no gas pedal) start... idle moves up to 1200-1400 for 8-12 seconds, then settles back down to 900-950... as it should behave.

just before this summer, this started to fall apart. I had difficulty starting and now the weather was warm. feather the pedal, run a few miles... eventually all was OK, but even warn starts were bad.

it turned out to be the sensor AND the cold start injector too. if your looking into this, check your fuel pump(s) pressures and change the fuel filter.

Quick Reply: Cold Start Problems