Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need Advice Fast - '78 930 w/ 62K Miles -$$??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need Advice Fast - '78 930 w/ 62K Miles -$$??

I saw the car but was unable to speak with the owner..yet. Here's his written description:

1978 Porsche 930 Turbo
62,000 Original Miles
BEST SERIOUS OFFER

Excellent Condition
300 Watt Alpine Stereo
Stainless Steel Headers
Delayed Shut Off for Turbo Cooling

It's is Guard Red, cosmetically 9 of 10 that I could see (limited of course) from the outside and through window. What's this car honestly worth? I am looking to step up from a 944 NA...a big step! The short story is the 944 was bought as inexpensive tranpsortation during/post divorce (after 20+ years). My kids are raised, basically this is a reward to myself though others will see it as my "mid life crisis" car. Screw 'em. I don't care... even if they're right! This would be a daily drive for less than six months (also looking for a truck). I bought the "911 Buyer's Guide". Beend lurking here awhile. Fill me in. Tell me what's good what's bad. How to tell if Gray market car...if so, avoid?? Thermal reactors. How to tell if they've been removed? How to pass smog - have gotten various answers. If not present how expensive to buy if I must have them to bolt on for smog test only to unbolt later? Me? 48, youthful, pretty active. Mechanically proficient but haven't done serious wrenching in awhile...don't especially want to do heavy stuff again. ****-as-hell abut my cars. That's it. Sorry it was so long.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:27 PM
Jaxon
Racer

I know the economy is bad...but that price is low, and I mean low. Great deals have been popping up on occasion. Seem more prevalent out west Funny how we look real hard for a great deal, and then when we find one we question it. If he has records...and it passes PPI at a real good 911 shop, make him an offer. If no records but passes PPI with flying colors and he seems like a straight shooter....I'd probably still go for it.

Regarding age....who cares. I'm 48, and I'm sure people have said the same thing about me with my Porsche's. F..' m.

Good luck! I hope you get it...let us know!
Old 01-21-2003, 12:30 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A gray market car can be identified by the VIN number. Sorry, but I don't remember the exact details, but North American cars have an "AA" desigation somewhere in their VIN.

I'm thinking $20K to $25K for a U.S. car in top condition. I'm not sure how much to discount for a gray market car. I recently test drove a 197__ U.S. 930 that had a weak 2nd gear synchro. Asking price was $20K.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:23 PM
gerry100
Pro

Dan

Go for it if it's the right car.

When I got mine at 51, I told 'em I couldn't have a mid life crisis until I got thru adolescence.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:43 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Dan - you should post this over on the 930 board. In any event, if it has stainless steel headers then by definition it does not have the thermal reactors.

What price are they asking? The bigger issue here is the engine, suspension, brakes, etc. A basic rebuild on a 930 is a 12K project. A 78-79 930 can be a really great car, but as with anything age takes its toll. If I was looking for a 930 in California now, I would be focusing on the 86-88 cars as there are some real bargains and those cars are much newer with the update interior and climate control system (for what that's worth). For what its worth I have an 86 930 that is technically a "gray market" car. It was brought to CA in early 86, however, so never suffered from the abuse that people fear happens to older Porsches in Europe.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:43 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
"... but North American cars have an "AA" designation somewhere in their VIN..."

Sorry, but a 1978 will have a short VIN and it's sequence is not like the VIN version (1980 and newer) that you describe.

A 1978 930 would have a 10 digit VIN. The 5th digit will be an "8" for USA and a "7" for euro.

Like: 9308801156 if it were USA production.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:24 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

There is NO price quoted. That's why I'm asking you guys. What should it be?

While I'm on the subject, I asked on the 911 Turbo board, can a 930 function as a daily driver successfully. My gut reaction is yes. Afterall they were regualr production automobiles in 1978. Plenty of people with the money, but no real knowledge of sports cars must have expected to be able to drive them daily. But perhaps there are considerations I haven't thought of or issues that surfacedthat make them unsuitable to drive everyday. I would only be doing this for awhile, maybe a max of six months.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:38 PM
Jaxon
Racer

I've driven several on different occasions.
Only the obvious observations, for what they are worth. No Power Steering...so tough in the city but manageable unless you have to parallel park. Air Conditioner is not to cool. Clutch is not for the faint of heart. Not a problem for me...but I wouldn't think to many women would like to drive this car. That's all I noticed from my drives.

This car is probably not best suited as a city car. Sure it can be used there. But it isn't the highest and best use for it. Great car if you are on the open road even greater if the road is full of twists and curves.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:04 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

How can you sell a car without a price? If its just best offer, then offer 10K. Realistically, if the car is in great shape, the maybe 25-26K.

As for drivability, assuming it has nice headers from say GHL or B&B, then the low end response will be better than stock so that will help around town driving. These cars can be a bear at low speeds - the throttle response down low is not great and of course there is no power assist anything. On the freeway the car is pure pleasure. Many people use them as daily drivers. If nothing else it will keep you in shape. If you have ever used an SC or Carrera as a daily driver, I will tell you that those cars are far easier to drive.

Quick Reply: Need Advice Fast - '78 930 w/ 62K Miles -$$??