Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Installing fuel check valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 04:17 PM
davis911s
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Installing fuel check valve

I just received my bosch check valve and cap nut, now I need to find out how to instal it and where exactly it goes. Anyone?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2001, 05:42 PM
Paul H
Advanced

If I recall correctly the check valve maintains pressure after your fuel pump, and prevents the fuel from draining back through the pump to the tank. Therefore you need to install it on the outlet side of your fuel pump.

Of course you'll feel more convinced when John Walker tells you the same thing.
Old 07-18-2001, 07:54 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice to see some canukians here, eh. i'm originally born and raised in montreal. came to seattle in '63. anyway, paul h is correct. you may have to enlarge the banjo fitting to get it over the new check valve. i think 77 still used the small one. a tapered reamer is the only safe way to do it. if you try to drill it, the drill will catch and wind up the fuel hose. when you're done enlarging, use a fine flat file to dress the sides, because you will be almost out of sealing surface. tighten firmly and check for leaks after it's running. beauty.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:28 AM
davis911s
Instructor

Thanks Paul and John, wow three Canucks that is weird on any Porsche Board. Although I was originally born in Germany(Father military).

John you were right about the bango fitting, I will have to get a reamer and open it up. Thanks guys

Shawn
Old 07-21-2001, 02:27 PM
davis911s
Instructor

Update;

The check valve is in, it went in real easy had to use the reamer as John Walker said, then I used a magnet to get rid of the shavings. I haven't been able to test it enough yet, I will update this once I have driven it more. There are NO fuel leaks so thats good

Shawn
Old 07-21-2001, 07:49 PM
davis911s
Instructor

OK another update, took it for a good drive today over an hour, temp got to 210. I let it sit for 20 minutes and it started right up. BUT it ran poorly, like it is starving for fuel, really sluggish. Then it died, started right away but still did the same thing. When it is running real poor it would be ok IF i gave it a steady touch of gas.

ANY IDEAS??

PS it sometimes did this before the check valve so I don't think it is related.

Shawn

Quick Reply: Installing fuel check valve