Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Texas Mile, where's the 911's??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 05:07 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Texas Mile, where's the 911's??

Sorta semi- off topic, but I went down to the Texas Mile with a buddy in his 951, and INCLUDING the OLD 911 we saw being trailered out as we arrived late, there were FIVE Porsche's present. There was a 993 that ran 136, but the weird thing was that NOT ONE of the turbo-charge Porsche's had rear engines, leaving three 951's to carry the burden of the Porsche's rep alone.

WTF?? There were SCADS of Z06's and big block C-5's buzzing the old runway all day in the 170-180 range. I saw 2 WRX's (shoe-box aero's and speed gov's kept them both under 150), 2 Audi A6's (the sedan set a most-runs record with like, 536 passes- okay FINE, it was more like 30), and an mob of nitrous-sniffing superbikes (one Hayabusa did 201 on the squeeze).

But TWO 911's; neither of which were turbo charged? One would think that cars built to bomb the autobahn would have better representation that they did. For shame...
Old 10-10-2004, 07:01 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Is this drag racing?
Old 10-10-2004, 07:14 PM
CDiercks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the Texas Mile? If it is drag racing I think that answers your question. You won't find a lot of 911 owners that drag race their cars, that's not what 911s are suited for.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:09 AM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Sorry guys, was out for a couple of days. Heavens NO, it is NOT drag racing. I may not own a Porsche (yet), but I DO know better. Allow me to explain...(ahem)

The Texas Mile is a land speed racing event held 2-3 times a year in Goliad, TX; about halfway between San Antonio and Houston. It just a simple zero to top speed bomb run through speed traps set at one mile. Cars and bikes make their passes solo (just like Bonneville) as many times as they like. It is a SAFE way to let 'er rip and she what she'll do. Granted, some cars may need more than a mile to achieve top speed, so acceleration IS a factor. But after watching it for a day, I was laughing at the clowns who felt it neccessary to wail their cars off the line. You hear the old farts in their BADass big block C5's spinning tires through and past the 1/8 mile mark only to flub the 4-5 upshift. Fun times, man.

My bud has been hopping up his 951 for some time now, and he missed the Summer event. He made it to the event last weekend, but his clutch ended up roasting; holding his turbo to "only" 137mph. That's about 7mph slower than a black 951 that was chipped, so Brian's car (which is chipped and a WHOLE lot more) should crack 155-160 with a clutch that's holding. For the record, 137mph DID beat the following: A NICE looking 993, a WRX with at least a $1000 carbon hood, a hot STi WRX that was banging the speed gov all the way down the traps, a Ford F-150 Lightning, a Golf turbo, and a couple of Audi A6's. The A6 sedan DID set a weekend record for runs with something like 34 trips through the traps (probably with the AC blowing and a CD cranked).

Anycow, I just figured with all the 930's and Carrera's and 964's and 996's in Houston (and the surrounding area) that there would have been more out there. It's not a drag race, it's a speed race. Beats the hell outta dodging mini-vans and kids and cops and street ricers and the like. And like I mentioned before the only Porsche's with turbochargers had four cylinder engines mounted up front. Later.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like an interesting and fun to watch event.

Though, I think the 911 (older one's especially) is not really the kind of car to do this type of event with. I would expect domestic V8 type cars (and the Audi that you mention) to be better at this type of 'extended' drag racing (if you will). Big torque off the line type cars to get up to speed quickly. An older 911 is a good car for curvy back roads or track work and not necessarily for straight line racing.

Now, if they made this 1 mile course some twisty back road, then a 911 would probably be a dominant force!

Jay
90 964
Old 10-15-2004, 10:19 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

You're probably right, Jay. The old SC we saw being trailered out looked like a semi-vintage racer, and it posted a speed of 110mph. I just thought with ALL the 911 and 964 turbo's in Houston that some would have flown the Porsche flag against the American muscle. Instead, a car some "purists" wouldn't call a Porsche carried the banner. And carried it WELL. Later...

Quick Reply: Texas Mile, where's the 911's??