Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SC vs Carrera coupes

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 01:00 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

porsche really knows how to pick a color (most of the time), too bad its hibernating already. mine is in hibernation untill the motor is done.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:04 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by g-50cab
Luv your car Jay - makes me miss my Baltic Blue 964 Targa!
Thanks Jeremy. I still remember when your Targa got hit... That was a sad day...
Old 10-14-2004, 10:36 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

You guys are putting yours away and I am in the process of breaking mine out! I have an autocross in a few weeks, then a DE next month - best part is the high here Friday is supposed to be 78!! Woo Woo. After a summer of hurricanes and a 993 brake project I am ready to drive with the top down!
Old 10-14-2004, 10:51 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by g-50cab
You guys are putting yours away and I am in the process of breaking mine out! I have an autocross in a few weeks, then a DE next month - best part is the high here Friday is supposed to be 78!! Woo Woo. After a summer of hurricanes and a 993 brake project I am ready to drive with the top down!
Yes, winter sucks!!
Old 10-14-2004, 07:35 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, Jay, aren't you jumping the gun a bit? I don't put my targa away until after Thanksgiving, and it's out again the first of March; I'm in Chicago. I plan to follow the same drill with the 928. The 944 will endure it's first winter as "the beater." I'll take the train or a cab when it's actively snowing, but otherwise it'll be on the road.

Emanuel
Old 10-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by epbrown01
Dang, Jay, aren't you jumping the gun a bit? I don't put my targa away until after Thanksgiving, and it's out again the first of March; I'm in Chicago... Emanuel
I hear ya Emanuel... I used to keep my '86 out until the salt dropped (then yank it back out of storage if it rained again and the salt washed of!) and pulled it out on the first salt free day in March.

But, that was when I was single, without kids and a small city house/lot. Now, I just wanna get the car cleaned up in the warm weather (I hate prepping a car for storage in the cold). I also have my wife's toy to put away as well, a big Simplicity to store, a 1953 Allis Chalmers tractor to get ready for the snow plowing it does and other lawn and garden junk to do now with the larger property I moved to, so that takes another couple weekends, if not more... With the kids around, I have less time anyway for this stuff (by choice), so I just put the cars away earlier and get it over with.

It's a shame the car sits for so long... But I guess it's better (to me anyway) than selling it.

How's that for an excuse...?!

Jay
90 964
Old 10-14-2004, 09:29 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Keep doing that you northern guys - I'll be in the market for another low mileage Porsche in the near future (mine was from Chicago, only driven by a nice wealthly lady in the summertime)!!!
Old 10-15-2004, 12:52 AM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
I hear ya Emanuel... I used to keep my '86 out until the salt dropped (then yank it back out of storage if it rained again and the salt washed off!) and pulled it out on the first salt free day in March.

But, that was when I was single...
All ya had to say! I'm still single, which is how I can get away with it. No one telling me to get something "practical."

E
Old 10-15-2004, 11:56 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just throw Blizzaks on the Targa and drive the SOB all winter... salt be damned... with RWD, the thing will go anywhere in the snow as long as there is ground clearance... I love blowing by some Bozo in a 4WD F-150 whose sliding around all over the place on 4 seasons.... its all in the tires, guy.

Due to contention for garage space (read my wife's car get the roof), I also have to park the car outside for extended periods of time... it kills me, but I have to.

10 years and there is zero rust on the body.... (yeah the rotor hats have scale and some of the engine shrouding, etc... but is is all surface on easily replaced items)... if I buy a "practical" car, I have to sell the old girl.... I refuse to swap a 3.2 for a Honda... or anything else...

When I detail it, it still looks like a 90 point car... biggest problem is shrinkage on the leather dash and rear shelf... this is from sunlight... (if you park your car outside, cover the greenhouse... regret not doing that)

You really get respect for the build quality of these cars when you see them hold up to day to day driving...
Old 10-16-2004, 12:45 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

"I love blowing by some Bozo in a 4WD F-150 whose sliding around all over the place on 4 seasons.... its all in the tires, guy."

- That's a good one. A pickup is the worst possible wt. distribution for winter traction -- so it's not all in the tires tho.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Actually got to drive two 88 coupes today. They both had close to 40K miles. What a revelation. I've been driving these newer Porsches too long. The last older Porsche I had was a 89 944 Turbo, which was great. The 88 3.2's I drove were very good, had so much character compared to the new stuff. They had the right amount of power, and that lightweight feel. I can just imagine the late 60's 911's. I loved the steering, the sound, how compact it felt inside. It wasn't fast in GT3 terms but felt quick enough. I've got to have one soon. You guys are lucky for having these classics.

Quick Reply: SC vs Carrera coupes