Purchase Advise Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 05:12 PM
badbilly
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase Advise Please

Here's the deal:
1969 911S. Car is apart with most parts in boxes. Engine just redone (by Ollie's) and it is beautiful. Trans redone. The problem is rust. Seller has identified several pieces that will need to be cut and new parts welded in. These incude: Rear floor half panel, Jack Plates and Receivers (both sides), and the Front Lip. One small rust spot on one rocker panel. I would want to make this a concours project. My question is: can these repairs be done so that they are truely not noticable? Or would I lose points for doing this?
I plan to do most of the work myself (reassembly, interior, etc) but the panel replacement (and paint work) are beyond my capabilities. Next question: Can anyone steer me to someone here in N. CAL. that can do the rust repairs? I have called a lot of shops and could only get one "ballpark" quote from a shop in Sacramento. He wanted $25,000 !!! to do the repairs and the paint. This would of course make the project untenable. I guess I am looking for someone who 1. Knows what they are doing (keeping suspension points lined up, etc.), and 2. Would charge a more reasonable rate. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 10-09-2004, 05:41 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

pics would help, and the car would have to go on a jig assembly, it bolts to several suspension, chassis points to ensure the car's body doesn't flex/move/sag while pieces are cut out, $25K for paint and restoration of body sounds expensive but it really isn't. Remember, you do it for the car and yourself, not the money.

I know a shop that did a Turbo S that was custom ordered with match to sample paint and interior that had been side swipped and spun off an embankment, his bill was over $100K to strip to a bare shell, weld in all new panels on a jig machine, and repaint. Let me tell you, If you didn't know it had been wrecked, you would never know.

Quick Reply: Purchase Advise Please